• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Saving backups to another place

Kentae

Hi.
I wanted to make it so that whenever I save my project, it would be saved to it's original project folder as well as a backup folder on my external harddrive.
Since I've put quite a lot of time and effort into my project(s), I figured it'd be really good to have a backup system in place. In case my computer should crash and burn for whatever reason.
I just think that it'd suck really bad if my computer should ever crash and I ended up having no way of recovering my projects.

I looked a bit around online for answers and found that this was possible in GMS 1.4 and that GMS 2 apparently works a bit diffrent, so it does not have this option.
Is there a way to do this without having to go through the tideous task of using "Save as" and placing the savefiles manually in the two locations? (in GMS 2 that is)

Kentae

@TsukaYuriko I'll have to do some research on that then.
I read throu some of it and watched a quick video on the matter and thus far it seems quite complicated to set up.
I might just not have found the part of it that will fix my problem :)

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Most of that likely deals with setting up an online repository and linking your local one to it. While this is helpful (to prevent data loss in the case of local hardware failure), it's not mandatory to start using source control.

To get started, you'll need to do this:
- Install Git. (You may need to reboot.)
- In GM, enable source control for your project under Options -> Main -> Main Options -> General -> Enable source control.
- Create a repository via Source Control -> Create Project Repository.

You can now start using source control and save your changes via Source Control -> Commit Changes and view your changes over time via Source Control -> View History.