• Hey! Guest! The 40th (!!!) GMC Jam will take place between February 25th, 12:00 UTC to March 1st 12:00 UTC. Why not join in this very special anniversary jam! Click here to find out more!

UWP Saving and Loading ini Files (targeting Xbox One)

eyethree

Hello,
I've recently had to rework a save system for one of my games on Xbox One to Save/Load via ini files/functions (followed this YoYo tutorial with the included wrappers).

After rewriting everything (which I thought I understood, but I've been up for 32 hours, so pardon my complete lack of understanding if I butchered this), I'm left with a Save/Load system that doesn't function properly.

For the load function (placed on an object in first room[create event[):

globalvar loadbuff;
global.loadbuff = buffer_create(1,buffer_grow,1);
buffer_async_group_begin("Spoopy_Game");
buffer_async_group_option("showdialog",0); // Stop platform dialogues appearing for this auto-save (if you do this your player won't be able to select a slot manually)
buffer_async_group_option("slottitle","SpoopyGame"); // Set the title of the slot we're going to save into
buffer_async_group_option("subtitle","Super Spoopy Save File"); // Set a subtitle that's visible in the XBox UI
buffer_load_async(global.loadbuff,"Save.sav",0,-1); // Say what we want to load and into which buffer
ini_open_from_string("");
global.orbs = ini_read_real("SpoopyData","orbs",2500);
ini_close();
global.loadid = buffer_async_group_end(); // Actually start loading now, and return a request ID value

For the save function (placed on an object in room where data needs to be saved[create event]):

buffer_async_group_begin("Spoopy_Game");
buffer_async_group_option("showdialog",0); // Stop platform dialogues appearing for this auto-save (if you do this your player won't be able to select a slot manually)
buffer_async_group_option("slottitle","SpoopyGame"); // Set the title of the slot we're going to save into
buffer_async_group_option("subtitle","Super Spoopy Save File"); // Set a subtitle that's visible in the XBox UI
globalvar savebuff;
global.savebuff = buffer_create(1,buffer_grow,1);
ini_open_from_string("");
ini_write_real("SpoopyData","orbs",global.orbs);
var inistring = ini_close();
buffer_write(global.savebuff,buffer_string,inistring);
buffer_save_async(global.savebuff,"Save.sav",0,buffer_get_size(global.savebuff)); // Pass the data to be saved
global.saveid = buffer_async_group_end(); // Start the save process and return the save request ID

If anyone can help me fix this issue and tell me what I'm doing wrong/missing, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Last edited: