• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Question - General Save Systems

Sumbeard

So, I've casually been browsing the marketplace comparing save systems. I made my own system that will save an arbitrary instance (with a few caveats) into a file using JSON. Albeit this makes a bloated file, it does make it very simple to save the entire instance-state of a room and load it back. Of course there's no reason it has to be JSON, that was just the easiest. I managed a work-around for saving instance ids stored in variables and reconstructing the relationships when the room is loaded from disk without too much pain on the the programming side. It can also handle excluding certain variables and instances semi-automatically. I haven't looked at every asset yet, but does anyone know of an asset that can do this kind of saving? I'm considering taking the time to polish it up and make it a proper marketplace asset with additional features if it may fill a niche. If there is an existing one that can handle these kind of things, I might switch over and save myself some time in the future ;)

Last edited: