• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

SOLVED Save/Load System dilemma

Bryan112

So I'm nearly done developing a reasonable huge game. (Lots of instances/varibles/rooms).

What i want to do now is to implement a load/save system. Ive come to the realization that it might have been better if i had done this in a earlier stage.

If i use Gamemaker's default save/load system all the variables i wrote in a create event are not set before reading once i load a level. (It does work if i never close the game. Once i close the game all information is lost and i can't load the saved file)
If i want to implement my own system using .ini files ext. I would need to save ALL instance locations, global variables, local varibles ext, wich is gonna take me 3 weeks or so, since i have so many.

Is there an easier way to fix this or do i need to bite the bullet and just need to save every little thing manually?

Cheers!

Nidoking

Biting bullets isn't that bad, really. You can probably come up with some shortcuts as you go, and there's a lot of copying and pasting you can do (if you're careful).

Bryan112

Thanks for the replies.

Ive managed to do things with .ini files and the default gamemaker save/load system combined. Gamemaker's load/save system saves all locations, the .ini files saves all varibles.
I just load in the .ini file before loading the level.

Still a long way to go, but it's manageable.

Ricardo

INI files are not intended to store big chunks of data and you can encounter problems depending on the data type you're recording.
Do yourself a favor and do it the right way by using structs/maps/JSON.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
You don't have a dilemma here. If you plan to change even the slightest detail of your game going forward, anything involving the built-in save-load system will go wrong. I too recommend that you stop trying to cut corners, and just learn JSON already. INI is an antiquated format whose GML implementation has easily exploitable problems.