Windows Salty Seabird Bay - Full version & demo!

M

Marvelo

EDIT: full version is now available on Steam! Thanks everyone for commenting and liking!

Salty Seabird Bay is a mini game bonanza set in the golden age of piracy. Play fun and engaging mini game modes with up to four friends locally.

Old info below!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Salty Seabird Bay is a party game for 2-4 players situated in the golden age of piracy. It's centered around it's seven mini-games and cup mode, so you can play for just a little while with your friends or go for a longer session. We are not going for some revolutionary game mechanic but instead we are focusing on making the games as much fun as possible. Just you and 1-3 friends, controllers in your hand, trying to beat each other in funny and stimulating mini-games and having a blast while doing it. The features of finished game will include:
  • Seven unique and super fun mini-games
  • Salty Seabird Cup - a tournament mode
  • Goofy and fearsome pirate avatars with emotions
  • Plenty of game settings
  • Graphics are pixel style
  • I hope we'll be able to find a talented composer to make awesome soundtrack for the game

We have been working on it now for around... I think four months. The finished version is to have around seven mini-games. At the moment of writing this there is three in varying states of polish. I'm thinking about releasing early access when five games are in fairly good polish and ready to play. So I think - the early access should be during 2017 and the final version not too far into 2018 but we shall see!

Introducing the three first mini games:

Captain Robbers
The one who manages to pilfer most gold before time runs out wins. The objective is to collect different gold objects and carry
them into your own chest that is going around the isle in a raft. There are three different objects of values 1,2 and 5. Your character gets slower the more gold he is carrying. There is one powerful power-up:
Captains Hat
It changes the game completely by letting you rob your fellow pirates.

Avast! Kraken!

He who survives longest the kraken attack will reign victorious in this second mini-game. The kraken will dish out more and more powerful attacks until all but one ship is surviving. But because this is a game about pirates, again you don't have to play nicely: the kraken will sometimes spit out powerups, like cannonballs that will let you unleash fire upon your fellow seafarers to make them go down faster.
This mini-game has been most challenging for our graphics developer because of the huge boss monster and all the animating that goes into it.

Scallywag Cards

In this one you conquer your opponents card by placing a bigger number card alongside it. The rules are simple but it's tons of fun. What makes it even more interesting is that every card has an unique ability. I've planned different methods to select your deck or hand before playing but so far there is just one, where you pick your cards from a huge pile of cards.
This one has been the most time consuming and troublesome to develop for me, the coder so far, but I've learned a lot of GML while coding it!

That's it for now! Thanks for your interest in our game and if you want to follow the progress you can do so here and you can also check out our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SaltySeabirdBay/ and indieDB page: http://www.indiedb.com/games/salty-seabird-bay

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Marvelo

Interesting art and concept. Are you just going after PC to start?
Thank you for the encouragement! :) Yeah just PC to start. If it is doing well, I'll consider the other places and what kind of work goes into the process. It's a lot of work to release in different store fronts in PC alone :)

M

Marvelo

Devblog # 1
Making of "Captain Robbers"

Lately I've been finishing the first mini-game of the game although there's still a lot to do, I wanted to blog about the process and the mini-game in a bit in depth.

When I first though about the concept for this I took inspiration from one particular mini-game from Pokemon Stadium 2. polibird.jpg
Delibird Delivery was my favourite mini game in the game. The objective is to carry as many presents as you can to your own lane, while at the same time avoiding some dangers that could make you lose it all. There was different presents of different values and sizes - the bigger your bag the slower you would move, so there was some strategy to it.

I wanted to improve to this classic by adding some cross-player action. Instead of avoiding NPC's you have to sometimes run from your friend who has picked up the captain's hat power-up. Otherwise you'll get mugged, making you stun for a sec and losing your stuff to the robber.
rob1.gif
I kept the idea of having more stuff making you heavier and thus slower to move, so you should think strategically when to deposit your gold!

Also, the deposits are moving so it should add some spice to the game. Maybe there will be a powerup to alter the deposits like for example make your rivals deposit invincible for a while?? I'm thinking of adding some more power-ups but I'm not sure yet what. I'd like to keep the theme of cross player interactivity going, though. Any good ideas?
drop1.gif

Next, I'll be working on implementing the avatars to this. As you can see, they're already in (right side) but their movement's still require some coding, and the art polishing up.
screen6.jpg
code1.jpg

That's it for now! Next: Avast! Kraken!

EDIT: are the images showing right? Our artist checked the blog but the images were tiny. Maybe it's because he's not logged in?

Last edited by a moderator:

0.Bytes

This looks really good, and it has a nice and interesting concept, great job !

M

Marvelo

Yeah we are still alive...
Now digging up some treasures but... oh no!

M

Marvelo

Ahoy, long time no hearrr. This are going forward for Salty Seabird Bay. Here is some new gameplay footage:

M

Marvelo

Hey guys! I've got an announcement to make: We are now doing closed beta testing and you are wanted! If you have a (local) friend or two (even better: three) to play with and would like to be a tester to our game, please send me a message with your Steam profile and email. Having controllers is a plus but not requirement. Thanks!

screen23.png