• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Safe to run the Gamemaker installer to upgrade?

toxigames

When starting Gamemaker 2 I get a message that a newer version available and if I'd like to download? I say yes and it downloads a Gamemaker 2 installer. Running the installer I get this popup box. Is this a safe way to upgrade Gamemaker 2? It says that it will remove the old version... I'm guessing that I won't lose my settings through this... right?

Why are there no integrated update feature in Gamemaker 2? Is this a planned future feature? Or do devs intend to keep it this manual way of downloading and upgrading?

upload_2017-10-10_1-10-53.png

Hyomoto

This is indeed the proper method. I think SOME versions don't require a reinstall but it seems most of them do. It may be annoying but it works fine. It won't affect your project files or anything though some updates DO add new options and those might be toggled on by default.