• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows Rythm Game help

Hi, I want to make a Rythm game but I don´t know nothing about it. How do I make instances appear at a specific time of the song? with sync. is there a timeline or something? thanks.

Pixel-Team

Master of Pixel-Fu
Years ago there was an obscure handheld gaming device called the Pandora Handheld. On this there was a free game called Beat2x. Someone made a utility for making your own beat data files, by playing an Mp3 of your choice, and then hitting the buttons during the song. It would save this data file that would give you a time in miliseconds into the song, and which button. This utility was called the Beat2x Beat Generator.

dino1489

does it get out of sync, I know that it was possible before with dlls, there was one that sync music to the game speed, but this was years ago. Not even sure if gamemaker can use Dll files anymore.

Pixel-Team

Master of Pixel-Fu
If anything gets out of sync, it means that you're not doing something right. The beat data contains exact timing for when notes are to be hit, so assuming you're accurately measuring how much time has elapsed during the song, and assuming you got the graphic hitting the intended position at the time noted in the data, it should work. I think my own implementation may have been slightly inaccurate, but that's on me. It's definitely doable. You just have to do a little "predictive" movement on the note graphics to get them to reliably be at the perfect position at a given time. I wish you all the best!