• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

HTML5 Runtime Problem Prevents Manual Canvas Resizing

J

Joe Mahma

I make HTML5 apps for my gaming community using GM2. I use Wix for our Web needs.

To get an HTML5 app on my website, I need to first deploy the app through Netlify and then use an iframe on Wix that points to the Netlify address for the deployment.

Unfortunately, there's no way to wrap the iframe on Wix in order to scale the contents of the iframe for mobile-friendly viewing. Also, because the app is deployed through Netlify, coding my app to scale according to window size and/or proportional changes in room width and height don't work either, due to the fact that I must use an iframe on Wix.

The work-around for this is to simply manually change the canvas height and width in the "index" file of the HTML5 folder. I then deploy two packages -- one for desktop-viewing, a second for mobile-friendly viewing. I hide and unhide the corresponding iframe depending on which my site visitors need. The resolution is poor on mobile, but at least it works.

Problem

The latest runtime (2.2.5.378) does not allow you to manually change the canvas width and height in the "index" file. I haven't tested all the runtimes, but 2.2.3.341 does allow you to make this change. For those of us bound by the technical realities of our services, this is a problem.

Supplemental Notes

In my quest to figure out why I could no longer manually change the canvas size in the index file, I reverted to a previous version of GM2. I'm running IDE v2.2.0.343.

I'm fairly confident that I can run the latest version of GM2 and simply run the older runtime, but I haven't tested this.

I write only because I'm hoping for a fix. I'd much rather use the latest and greatest, as would anyone.

v/r,
Joe.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Can't offer a solution, but it does sound like a bug, so you should report it to YoYo Games (and include a link to a download of a test that shows the issue).

J

Joe Mahma

Can't offer a solution, but it does sound like a bug, so you should report it to YoYo Games (and include a link to a download of a test that shows the issue).
Do you have a link for reporting bugs like this. It's definitely a bug. I've tested it since, and later runtime updates won't allow for a change in canvas size via the "index" file when deployed. When you change the width and height, nothing happens. Whereas before, the entire app/game would scale.

Weird and wildly problematic for those in my shoes who have few options for scaling to mobile views.