• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

UWP Running UWP apps full screen?

Electros

Hi,

I am running into an issue where I can't seem to run Windows UWP apps in full screen mode, just wanted to find out if anyone else had any similar experiences?

When I run the game using Platform: Windows, output YYC, it fills the whole screen:

WindowsYYC.jpg
When I run the game using Platform: Windows UWP, output YYC, it doesn't fill the screen, and appears as below:

WindowsUWP_YYC.jpg
When I deploy the UWP to Xbox One, I get a similar output with black borders on all sides, not filling the full screen display.

Platform settings, Windows, Graphics:
Start Fullscreen - checked
Interpolate colours between pixels - checked
Use synchronization to avoid tearing - checked
Scaling - keep aspect ratio

Platform settings, Windows UWP, Graphics:
Interpolate colours between pixels - checked
Start Fullscreen - checked
Use synchronization to avoid tearing - checked (can't uncheck)
Scaling - keep aspect ratio

Does anyone have any ideas, have I configured this incorrectly for UWPs (mainly so I can run this using the full TV on the Xbox One)?

Thanks!

Electros

Updated the title tag as this is firmly a UWP query - can anyone confirm with UWP apps whether they can run them full screen on PC or XBox One?

Would be useful to know whether this is an issue on my end to investigate, or a general one.

Underground

Hi. As soon as my troubles with the UWP module were solved, I'll try these on my Xbox one and tell you my results.

Can I ask you what are your system specs? As I said I'm having troubles with UWP, and possibly helps knowing the specs from a system in wich the module is working fine.

Thanks,
Fran

Electros

Hi Fran, I'm running on an i7 laptop, 8GB ram with 64 bit Win 10 if it helps.

Hey @Nocturne @rIKmAN , sounds like from Fran's thread that you have UWP deployment going - can you or anyone from YYG (or anyone!) let me know if these can run full screen? I really need to know whether the problem is on my end or not.

rIKmAN

Hi Fran, I'm running on an i7 laptop, 8GB ram with 64 bit Win 10 if it helps.

Hey @Nocturne @rIKmAN , sounds like from Fran's thread that you have UWP deployment going - can you or anyone from YYG (or anyone!) let me know if these can run full screen? I really need to know whether the problem is on my end or not.
Hey, the black border on XB1 is a setting on the console itself.

IIRC it's in "display settings -> Apps have border" or something similar, sorry I can't check right now but I can confirm later if you can't find it.

It's definitely in the console settings though!

Electros

Hey, the black border on XB1 is a setting on the console itself.

IIRC it's in "display settings -> Apps have border" or something similar, sorry I can't check right now but I can confirm later if you can't find it.

It's definitely in the console settings though!
Ok, thanks for the feedback, that's interesting - I will have a dig around on the Xbox and have a look. I guess there might be something similar for Windows, as that didn't run in full screen either.

I suppose the other thing to investigate is whether the UWP apps can be classified as games somehow as opposed to apps, so this wouldn't be an issue for users...

rIKmAN

Thanks for the info. So you are working fine with the UWP on a laptop. It must be a problem with my 2 laptops then.
I've just checked the XB1 to confirm the option you need to set to remove the border.

Settings > All Settings > Display & Sound > Video Output
In there on the right hand side is a tickbox that says "Apps can add border" under the "Overscan Border" heading - make sure that is not ticked and you should get full screen.

The giveaway for me was that the cursor was going to the screen edges even though the graphics weren't which meant it was already running in full screen.

Electros

I've just checked the XB1 to confirm the option you need to set to remove the border.

Settings > All Settings > Display & Sound > Video Output
In there on the right hand side is a tickbox that says "Apps can add border" under the "Overscan Border" heading - make sure that is not ticked and you should get full screen.

The giveaway for me was that the cursor was going to the screen edges even though the graphics weren't which meant it was already running in full screen.
Brilliant, thanks for that @rIKmAN - hopefully there will be other solutions so a full screen option is default for users on Xbox One, but at least that will allow developing and testing at full scale for now.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Can I just say, that you probably don't have to faff around in the Xbox settings, and instead NOT use the Game Option "keep aspect ratio"? When you use that option GMS will automatically add those black bars when the game viewport does not have the same aspect ratio as the display, and in the case of Desktop UWP (which is what the image above shows) you are getting them because UWP runs in a window and so the windows bar makes the final viewport/windowsize not have the same aspect ratio as the monitor. The solution (imho) is to use the Full Scale game option and then adjust the aspect ratio of the view camera and port yourself to fit the display size the game is running on.

rIKmAN

Can I just say, that you probably don't have to faff around in the Xbox settings, and instead NOT use the Game Option "keep aspect ratio"? When you use that option GMS will automatically add those black bars when the game viewport does not have the same aspect ratio as the display, and in the case of Desktop UWP (which is what the image above shows) you are getting them because UWP runs in a window and so the windows bar makes the final viewport/windowsize not have the same aspect ratio as the monitor. The solution (imho) is to use the Full Scale game option and then adjust the aspect ratio of the view camera and port yourself to fit the display size the game is running on.
Not sure about the images above as they are running on desktop, but on the XB1 it doesn't run with a window title bar or anything, it's actually a black border which frames the whole screen, to do with the "tv safe zone" according to the settings description.

I tried playing with the settings (keep aspect / full screen etc), running in 960x540 and 1920x1080 and the border still appeared, although the gamepad cursor was able to go into the black border so the actual app was running full screen - it just added a framed border for the safe zone as I mentioned.

I don't think it's anything to do with aspect ratio, port size etc though - a 1920x1080 room / port should be full screen without any borders at all on an XB1 and it still added the border. Seems odd it would be an option in settings specifically to turn it off too.

It would be good if we could set this with a function if possible as it is only a workaround to change the settings manually (you can't expect a player to be doing this obviously) - but then I'm not sure if this only happens with debug builds or not either?

Still, there are a lot more serious issues to fix before this - like UWP YYC working at all in 1.4 or 2.0 - so I won't expect it to be looked at anytime soon....ish (TM).

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
@rIKmAN : Thanks for the info! I confess to having little experience with the Xbox and my initial comment about not using Aspect Ratio correction was simply an observation to be tried, based on my knowledge of how GMS works generally... so I'll just keep quiet about Xbox stuff for now. :) However, the comment still stands for the original post, which only mentions (and shows a screenshot) of UWP desktop.

rIKmAN

@rIKmAN : Thanks for the info! I confess to having little experience with the Xbox and my initial comment about not using Aspect Ratio correction was simply an observation to be tried, based on my knowledge of how GMS works generally... so I'll just keep quiet about Xbox stuff for now. :) However, the comment still stands for the original post, which only mentions (and shows a screenshot) of UWP desktop.
Don't be silly, no need to keep quiet haha.

I only know as I spent an hour playing with settings thinking it was my code / GMS and deploying to the console over and over before I found out about the option in the XB1 settings!

For Desktop you are probably correct :)

Electros

Hey @Nocturne, thanks for the replies - sorry I didn't add the Xbox shots as I had to take a pic of the screen as the screenshot options are disabled, and wasn't sure it showed up clearly enough:

XBox_UWP_Cap.jpg

I thought my settings would be ok for Xbox, as the same scaling & viewport setup works for the Windows (non-UWP) deployment. Could see how this might be an issue with UWP apps on Win 10 as it does seem to add the title bar etc but thought it should be treated the same on Xbox as full screen without any of that.

@rIKmAN I came across the TV safe area info online after your pointers, I'll raise a ticket to YYG for this (if there isn't already one) as yes, tweaking the option in Xbox settings is only a temp workaround.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/input-and-devices/designing-for-tv#tv-safe-area

Underground

Just tested with GM:S 1.4 EA, exporting a project to my XB1.

This is with the "Alow apps add bordes" option checked:
20170319_144153.jpg

There are the black borders around the game image, same as @Electros got (a little smaller perhaps).

And this other is with the "Allow apps add borders" unchecked:

20170319_144350.jpg
As you can see, there are no borders, but exists overscan, so the game is bigger than the screen.
GM:S settings are "Full screen" and "Mantain aspect ratio" GUI size is 1280x720 as you can see.
Again notice that this is with GM:S 1.4 (as I still can´t test with the UWP module on GMS2), so the problem seems to be inherited.

Regards,
Fran

S

Spike

Hello,

First post since the new forum update. I guess they deleted previous account? Anyways...

I am having the same issues as listed above. In the GMS 1.4 GGS for UWP I have tried both fill screen and keep aspect ratio with no luck; borders on Xbox One and the game drawing beyond visible border; Windows 10 I am getting a window border at the top of the game. I have also tried putting functions in my game to allow full screen, with no luck. So I have a couple of questions...

Anyone found any fixes to these issues?
Anyway to delete the cursor that appears on Xbox One? Tried writing in game function with no luck.
Has anyone tried GMS 2 with UWP on Xbox One? Any issues? I am hesitant to transition to GMS2 as my game is almost complete and I heavily invested in my own camera system...
Lastly, while testing UWP on Xbox One my background music appears to change volume levels depending on other sound effects that are playing. Its a gradual decrease and increase. Any ideas why? Using new audio engine, new audio functions.

Thanks!

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I am having the same issues as listed above. In the GMS 1.4 GGS for UWP
I should point out that GMS 1.4 only officially supports UWP Desktop... and this is the 2.0 forum... If you want community support for this on 1.4, make a topic in the 1.4 tech support forums. ;)

Electros

@Spike Hey, at least apart from the full screen issue GMS2 & UWP on XBox One seemed to work well, although I have only done some light prototyping with it.

I raised a request a few days ago to YYG regarding the full screen issues, I'll update the thread if I hear back and / or post a link to the bug if it goes into the defect tracker.

rIKmAN

@Spike Hey, at least apart from the full screen issue GMS2 & UWP on XBox One seemed to work well, although I have only done some light prototyping with it.

I raised a request a few days ago to YYG regarding the full screen issues, I'll update the thread if I hear back and / or post a link to the bug if it goes into the defect tracker.
Hey Electros, are you saying that you own the GMS2 UWP Module, and it works fine without any (major) issues with certificates or anything of that nature?

The only reports I've seen have been people having problems with it, failing to compile at all due to certificate errors and of course the full screen issue. Only 2-3 people but that's more than the 0 I've seen who are happy with it, own it and can say it works.

I've been holding off UWP because of these issues as I don't want to get something that seems from an educated guess to not work out the box and require an update to fix things - because we all know how long updates can take to crawl from "internal" into things we can access - but of course April 9th is rolling around and I'm getting itchy fingers!

XB1 on 1.4 works great for me, although I've only ever used the default certificates, and would do the same in GMS2 for the foreseeable future while developing.

Electros

Hey @rIKmAN , yep I have only been using the UWP module with GMS2 - I did own it for 1.4 but never got around to setting it up.

I haven't had any cert issues, but I've not done anything outside of default certs and settings working through the YYG setup docs.

So yes, I've not had any issue compiling and deploying UWP code and sending it to the XBox One with GMS2, just the full screen issue for me currently.

S

Spike

Ah ok great. Thanks for the heads up!

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I should point out that GMS 1.4 only officially supports UWP Desktop... and this is the 2.0 forum... If you want community support for this on 1.4, make a topic in the 1.4 tech support forums. ;)
I should point out YYG used to have on their site an asterisk note promising official support for both XB1 and WP10 (UWP) for 1.4 but they have since the release of 2.x beta removed that from the features page for 1.4. I don't know how they get away with such things legally.

For the sake of being on topic, I'll add that what you guys are experiencing in both 1.4 and 2.x concerning overscan, this is the same issue people ran into running games on OUYA, while OUYA doesn't have the black border XB1 does, they made it clear to developers that creating games for the TV requires overscan to be taken into consideration. Every TV has it's own overscan settings. Meaning not everything on the edge of the screen will be necessarily visible - this is why you need to make sure all your most important contents of the GUI and game area are within the safe zone. The safe zone is the area inside that black border on XB1, so if you want all your important stuff to be visible on the TV when that black border is turned off in settings, make sure all that when scaled to fullscreen is still in that safe zone.

Understand?

Last edited by a moderator:

rIKmAN

I should point out YYG used to have on their site an asterisk note promising official support for both XB1 and WP10 (UWP) for 1.4 but they have since the release of 2.x beta removed that from the features page for 1.4. I don't know how they get away with such things legally.

For the sake of being on topic, I'll add that what you guys are experiencing in both 1.4 and 2.x concerning overscan, this is the same issue people ran into running games on OUYA, while OUYA doesn't have the black border XB1 does, they made it clear to developers that creating games for the TV requires overscan to be taken into consideration. Every TV has it's own overscan settings. Meaning not everything on the edge of the screen will be necessarily visible - this is why you need to make sure all your most important contents of the GUI and game area are within the safe zone. The safe zone is the area inside that black border on XB1, so if you want all your important stuff to be visible on the TV when that black border is turned off in settings, make sure all that when scaled to fullscreen is still in that safe zone.

Understand?
I agree on your first point, a little sneaky indeed with the silent removal and something I've mentioned myself in the past.

With the overscan, it's not that I (we) don't understand, it's that it isn't possible to turn the overscan border off without using an option in the console settings.

This obviously isn't acceptable to expect an end user to possibly have to do so we need an option to do this via code ourselves, or for GMS to remove the border and fit / scale the "safe area" to the display edges when we compile and deploy so it's full screen.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

With the overscan, it's not that I (we) don't understand, it's that it isn't possible to turn the overscan border off without using an option in the console settings.

This obviously isn't acceptable to expect an end user to possibly have to do so we need an option to do this via code ourselves, or for GMS to remove the border and fit / scale the "safe area" to the display edges when we compile and deploy so it's full screen.
Oh ok now I get it. I guess I should've read more. Yeah - being able to turn that off in code would be very useful.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
If you haven't already, file a bug requesting this be added, explaining why and linking to this topic.

V

ViridianGames

Hi, I'm currently having this problem (game not in fullscreen on Xbox One) and was wondering if a solution was ever presented. Yes, I can turn the setting off and make it fullscreen like that, but I can't ship this game with instructions saying "If you want the game to appear fullscreen, change a setting in your Xbox Settings."

I am using GameMaker Studio 2.2.3 and compiling my game as a Windows UWP YYC for Xbox One.

It seems pretty clear that the Xbox is treating the game as an "app", not a "game". I initially thought that the VM was being recognized as an app and if I compiled as a YYC it would fix the problem, but I couldn't compile YYC because of a bug in 2.2.2. Now that I'm on 2.2.3, I can compile YYC, but the problem persists.

Does anyone have a solution?

Thank you.