Run unchanged Game again without re-compiling

Discussion in 'Programming' started by mX273, Aug 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. mX273

mX273 Member

Hi guys

I dlike to optimize the development time of my game a little bit.
    1. Is there a way to re-run a game without re-compiling the code, if i haven't changed anything? (This would sometimes save a lot time, when im testing the game)
    2. https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/how-to-optimize-compile-time.55267/
    3. In the link above i read how to optimize the compile time. There should be an option under preferences called "Enable backup on run/debug/create"... where can I find this in GMS2?

Thanks a lot!

2. spoonsinbunnies

spoonsinbunnies Member

as far as Im aware you could save an executable and open multiple instances, Or just set a key to restart your game. Im not aware of any other options.

3. CombatCalamity

CombatCalamity Member

If you only need to restart the game, why even close the game? Use game_restart() instead.

4. YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ Forum Staff Moderator

If you have use of temporary drives disabled in Preferences, you could form the command line string to start up a copy of the game using parameter_* functions;

If you happen to use GMEdit, builder plugin has this exact option.

5. FrostyCat

FrostyCat Member

You can't game_restart() a game that has crashed or was closed intentionally, and we all know game_restart() is no replacement for a clean start.

This is why being able to start an unchanged game without rebuilding is so important.