Linux Run the GMS2 IDE on Ubuntu 19.04

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Tthecreator, Jun 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. benway

benway Member

Thank you for your answer :)

I was using Xorg, but I've obtained the same result using Wayland (BTW, it took me a while until I found the grub.conf nvidia drm switch trick to turn Wayland work xD)

When I move the mouse on GMS app, I can see a lot of messages of this kind on the terminal window:

Code:
    0009:fixme:win:GetMouseMovePointsEx (24 0x52df28 0x52d900 64 1) stub

But there isn't any of them when I move the mouse wheel.

I've tried again with any other app (f.i. firefox installer, and the wheel works fine).

I'm using Ubuntu 19.04, and my mouse is a Rapoo MT750 (with the same results both bluetooth connected and wireless connected)...

2. benway

benway Member

Another issue I've found: I cannot uninstall GMS (in order to update the IDE). At the start of uninstallation process, it stops, saying that it can't uninstall GMS because GMS is running (although is not running at all) :(

3. Yal

Yal GMC Memer GMC Elder

If you try running ps aux | grep <name of GMS2 executable>, does it show up there as a zombie process or something? Did you have it running normally before engaging the update? Does it work if you reboot and then try updating it?

4. Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable Time Killer

5. Tthecreator

Tthecreator Your Creator!

How did you check the process isn't running. You can use Q4Wine to see which processes are running.

6. benway

benway Member

There isn't any process running related to GMS (ps aux only returns the grep command, and without the grep and checking one by one every process, there isn't anything related to GMS but the uninstaller itself).

@Tthecreator : The Q4Wine list of processes doesn't show "gamemaker.exe" at all:

uninstaller.png
    I can remove gms2 prefix, create it again, and install the current version... but it should work! :)

7. Yal

Yal GMC Memer GMC Elder

Maybe the GMS2 installer detects the wine launcher it's being run in, and assumes it's a GMS2 process since it's got some GMS2 modifier in its data, and isn't the installer process, "so what else should it be"?

8. Tthecreator

Tthecreator Your Creator!

Yup this is a real issue... I don't have a solution right now, but I've added it to the original post with credits to you @benway

I'm not sure, I think it actively looks for "GameMakerStudio.exe". Could it be that it's looking for some temp file? I think a very small subset of windows users also have had issues like this: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/gamemakerstudio-exe-is-running.61753/