• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE "Run" is unusually slow sometimes (edited title)

B

BlooRooster1

Since the latest update to GMS2 (2.0.3.56, i believe), clicking 'Run' to test a project from within the IDE is unually slow. Generally, my projects take roughly 5 seconds to load and run, but since the update it takes (*whips out stopwatch) ....44 seconds.

Notably, the output spends about 30+ seconds of that time on this line:
"
!!!!No INI File C:\Users\Nic\AppData\Local\Temp\GameMakerStudio2\Platformer_1BA239FD/options.ini
"

Navigating there, there is indeed no options.ini, HOWEVER, if I open the folder immediately after hitting "Run", there IS an options.ini for just a few moments before it is gone and the .win and .yydebug files appear.

I noticed this behavior on one of my two projects immediately after the update. The other project ( a much smaller project, that was created after the update) didn't start this until last night, seemingly randomly. Brand new projects dont seem to have this problem right away.

Other potentially useful information:
-My build target is "test | VM | Local | default". Changing it to anything else Windows does the same thing.
-When the latest project started doing this, I made no major changes that I feel may have caused this.
-I've tried: restarting IDE, restarting computer, cleaning the project, Google magic, screaming obscenities. All to no avail

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Ednei

I'm having the same problem here.
My computer has the following configuration:

Windows 8.1 pro, laptop Samsung
Intel® Celeron® Processor 847 (2M Cache, 1.10 GHz) (2 cores) with 8 GB Ram

With this configuration I always rode GMS 1.4 without problems.
GM2 ran very well initially, then got extremely slow during compilations after the update to version 2.0.3.56.

B

BlooRooster1

I...THINK i may have JUST solved the problem. Under File>Preferences>Runtime Feeds>Master , I installed and changed to Runtime 2.0.3.36, whereas before I was running 2.0.1.27. Not really sure what this means, I just assumed when I updated the IDE to 2.0.3.36 , the runtime updated as well, but I suppose not. But it seems to have at least solved my problem for now.

Ednei

I'm having the same problem here.
My computer has the following configuration:

Windows 8.1 pro, laptop Samsung
Intel® Celeron® Processor 847 (2M Cache, 1.10 GHz) (2 cores) with 8 GB Ram

With this configuration I always rode GMS 1.4 without problems.
GM2 ran very well initially, then got extremely slow during compilations after the update to version 2.0.3.56.
I upgraded Windows 8.1 pro to Windows 10.
I made a new installation of GM2.
However my project that was imported from GM: Studio 1.4 is taking too long to run.

The output is frozen for more than 10 minutes in this line:

Code:
Reading config delta 'C:\Users\Ednei\XXXXX\XXXXX\XXXXX\XXXXX\XXXXX RPG\options\main\inherited\options_main.inherited.yy'
It is often necessary to close and open GM2, clear the cache to test the project.

Anyone have any idea what could be happening?

Note: I have Avast Premium and Onedrive installed on my computer

Any tip will be well accepted.

Thank you.

B

BlooRooster1

Ednei, did you check my solution? "File>Preferences>Runtime Feeds>Master", make sure your current version is 2.0.3.36.
Mine has worked flawlessly since I did this.

Also, I have heard of Avast and similiar causing problems with compiles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ednei

Ednei, did you check my solution? "File>Preferences>Runtime Feeds>Master", make sure your current version is 2.0.3.36.
Mine has worked flawlessly since I did this.

Also, I have heard of Avast and similiar causing problems with compiles.
Yes, I checked.
It's exactly like your example.
The problem is that sometimes GM2 runs my project quickly. Other times it takes more than 10 minutes and sometimes it does not run.

Thanks for the tip.

B

BlooRooster1

Walp, turns out my solution was only temporary. Back to the same problem as before. The compiler gets stuck on "!!!!No INI File C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Temp\GameMakerStudio2\XXXXXXX/options.ini" for about 40 seconds. I closed my game after testing just fine last night, and loaded it today and ran a test after making NO changes to the project AT ALL, and now Ive got this message.

B

bluepill

I have this same problem. GM2 was compiling and displaying the game window instantly (since I'm just doing the getting started tutorial at the moment). Then I ran an old game in GM1.4 and when I came back to GM2 I get this slowdown on my super simple project. Mine takes between 30 and 45 seconds every time.

Before I try reinstalling; has this been reported as a bug?

B

bluepill

So I reinstalled and GM2 is back to instantly running my simple project.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
So I reinstalled and GM2 is back to instantly running my simple project.
Great to know! Now about this:

I have this same problem. GM2 was compiling and displaying the game window instantly (since I'm just doing the getting started tutorial at the moment). Then I ran an old game in GM1.4 and when I came back to GM2 I get this slowdown on my super simple project. Mine takes between 30 and 45 seconds every time.

Before I try reinstalling; has this been reported as a bug?
if you could go through the same steps and see if it still happens that would be great! If it does still happen, then please file a bug report and explain exactly the steps you took to reproduce. GMS1.4 should have no influence over how GMS2 works...

B

bluepill

if you could go through the same steps and see if it still happens that would be great! If it does still happen, then please file a bug report and explain exactly the steps you took to reproduce.
Reproduced and bug reported.

B

BlooRooster1

I reported mine as a bug, and we came to the conclusion one way or another that it is something with my machine causing this....
My problem comes and goes seemingly randomly. 1 week: Instant(ish) startup, the next: 40 seconds +. Sometimes restarting my computer fixes it, sometimes it doesn't. Updated the runtime once, that fixed it, and within a week it was back. I've shut down almost everything else on my computer, no change. So i don't know. I'm not too worried about it for my sake, as I know it will just go away in time. What really concerns me, is that it also affects my compiled exes, so it could happen to a potential player and, of course, it will just look like something is wrong with my game. Let us know if any solution comes your way. Thanks.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
You have checked that your Anti Virus solution is not constantly checking your temporary directories or the location of your projects???

This is the common reason for compiler slow downs like this.

Russell

B

BlooRooster1

I have completely disabled my anti-virus when the problem was occurring. It comes and goes so inconsistently for me it's hard to pin down a cause. I'll keep poking at it if/when the problem comes back and report here if I figure anything out.

Ednei

I have completely disabled my anti-virus when the problem was occurring. It comes and goes so inconsistently for me it's hard to pin down a cause. I'll keep poking at it if/when the problem comes back and report here if I figure anything out.
The same thing happens here. I have GMS 1.4 installed on the same machine, I disabled the antivirus. In some instances it takes 40 seconds to run the project, other times it takes more than 10 minutes.
During compilation it takes a long time to process this file:

Code:
Reading config delta 'C: \ Users \ Ednei \ XXX \ XXXX\ XXXX \ XXXX \ XXXXX \ options \ main \ inherited \ options_main.inherited.yy
Thank you.

Ednei

B

bluepill

Hi,
I did some more testing of my slowdown problem and after many uninstalls and installs I now am unable to reproduce the slowdown in GMS2. I'll post again if it comes back; but for now I have both GMS1.4 and GMS2 working happily along side each other at full speed.

note: I don't have any 3rd party virus checker running; just Windows Defender.

B

bluepill

It's always the way... As soon as I post that everything is ok everything isn't.

Do you use the gamepad in your projects?

When I plugged in my gamepad (Xbox 1 controller connected to Win 10 with USB cable) I immediately got the slowdown in GMS2.

B

BlooRooster1

@bluepill I actually came back here to report something similiar. I do use a gamepad with my main player object. My game has been loading and running fine for a week or two now, but just now, I plugged my gamepad in after starting up the game (which I do often, with zero problems), and my game froze and crashed, and now the 40+ second load time is back. So perhaps there is something to that....

B

BlooRooster1

Walp, I have officially diagnosed the cause of my problem: My Corsair K70RGB Keyboard. I unplug it, game loads and runs in a matter of seconds. Plug it back in: 40+ seconds. What's strange is, like I said, the problem comes and goes, and I use this keyboard all the time with zero problems.

EDIT: The K70 has two USB cables to connect it. One of them, I run into a 3.0 port straight to the PC, the other to a 2.0 hub. When I plug both of the keyboards' cables straight into the PC, no problem. When I split one of them to the hub (happens to be the same hub as my gamepad, as I normally do) the problem begins, but again, only sometimes. But when the problem occurs, it stays for a week or so.

B

bluepill

I tried swapping from my wireless keyboard and mouse to wired and it didn't make any difference for me. Still only get slowdown when the gamepad is connected; regardless of whether the project is using the gamepad or not. It's like GMS2 is enumerating the USB devices before getting to the "Attemptng to set gamepadcount to 12" that comes up in the Output console just after the "!!!!No INI File "... message.

B

BlooRooster1

Do you happen to run your gamepad into a hub? My issue was solved when I moved my keyboard off the hub and directly to the port (which is still not ideal for me, but it works). The problem as you describe is identical to mine, but obviously solved differently. Just hoping to narrow down exact cause/solutions so it can be properly reported in a more general way than our specific cases.

B

bluepill

Alas, no luck with running everything from the ports on the back of the PC. I tried both USB2 and USB3 ports with no change and removing all external devices except monitor, keyboard, mouse and gamepad. I have a NUC lying around somewhere that I'll try next to make sure it isn't my PC's internal hardware.

B

bluepill

I can confirm that my problem must be something to do with either the hardware or configuration of my development PC. I setup a clean Win10 install on my very low spec NUC (NUC5CPYH, 4GB RAM, 100GB SSD) and created my simple test project. The result was about a second wait between the "!!!! No INI File"... message and the game window appearing. Perfectly acceptable on such a low spec system.