• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Run Game Slowdown: Setting Scheduler Resolution to 1

First time posting so please forgive me if I missed a rule or I am duplicating an earlier post. I am struggling with a slow compiler when running my game. I am currently using Game Maker 2 (ID v2.3.2.560) on my Windows 10 computer (i7 / 2060 Nividia) and I have attempted to google/review the forum to see if others have encountered this issue. While I have found similar posts, however, none have helped me resolve the issue. When running my game (with or without any objects, code changes, etc.) the game will take 3+ minutes to load. The trigger seems to be when the compiler hits the line: "Setting scheduler resolution to 1". As I said above, similar posts have popped up and I have tried to follow their solution steps but none so far have worked (or I am doing them wrong). Below is the exact output that shows when the compiler gets stuck and waits 3+ minutes.

[Run] Run game
Options: Z:/Test_Game_565F9C4F_BE3F57D9\MainOptions.json
X://windows/Runner.exe -game "Y:/Test_Game_EA5C6F4_VM\Test Game.win"
Setting scheduler resolution to 1

Afterwards, the compiler may fail due to timeout or it will resolve and the game will load. Image below is the output after the game loads. Even after loading the game's window may struggle to close out. I have already attempted starting a new project, starting with new assets in the room, and reinstalling Game Maker. While this did happen shortly after using Game Maker on my new Windows computer, I don't believe this happened to start. I was also not dealing with this issue on my Macbook Pro using the same assets/code. Apologies if this has been discussed in the past and I missed the original solution.

1623535957060.png

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Well, I've seen this issue pop up a couple of times and so far these are things that I've seen people say have worked:

1) Update windows
2) Update nVidia Drivers
3) Disable anti-virus / windows defender
4) Wait, as it sometimes just stops being an issue for some mysterious reason

That said, I would definitely suggest filing a bug report. None of the threads I've seen about this have filed one, as they've managed to solve the issue in various ways. However, I would love to hear from YYG what they official resolution to this issue is and what that call is actually doing. If you do file a bug report, please post back here with the reply!

rIKmAN

That said, I would definitely suggest filing a bug report. None of the threads I've seen about this have filed one, as they've managed to solve the issue in various ways. However, I would love to hear from YYG what they official resolution to this issue is and what that call is actually doing. If you do file a bug report, please post back here with the reply!
I'm gonna take a guess that OP has a Corsair keyboard?

If so, there is no resolution and I have a ticket about this very issue since I bought a K63.
I fixed it temporarily by flashing the keyboard firmware using iCUE but it returned, have also turned off all setting in Windows 10 that allows USB ports to be put to sleep when not in use in case it was turning the keyboard off when unattended - but again it returned.

The solution generally given is to unplug / replug the keyboard which does work, but personally that's inconvenient as I don't have easy access to the USB ports on the back of my tower, so I use a keyboard shortcut on the keyboard to do it.

1) Flip it into BIOS mode (hold F1 and the Lock key for 3secs)
2) This fixes the issue but a causes a light to flash continuously on the keyboard to indicate it's in BIOS mode but which is annoying.
3) Flip it back to normal mode (hold F1 and the Lock key for 3sec)
4) Keyboard is back to normal and GMS2 will compile normally until the next time it doesn't.
5) Repeat steps 1-3 every time the "scheduler resolution" message appears and delays compiling.

Last edited:

Sharlenwar

So I was using GMS2 no problem since December on my Corsair keyboard. A power outage happened and this issue appeared. I thought maybe the power out did something as I was in the middle of coding in a game when it happened. Power came back, I fired up my machine and bam! I was like, "WTF?!" because the builds were now super slow instead of almost instant on my machine.

Simple fix thanks to @rIKmAN suggesting the unplug/replug. This solved it and I imagine I'll be fine now. So remember, your Corsair Keyboard users out there, this is your fix. Not sure why a keyboard would mess up the builds.

rIKmAN

NOTE: This error can also happen because of Corsair brand mouses
Does plugging/unplugging also temporarily fix the issue with mice as well?

I thought this issue was fixed recently in one of the beta versions but then it came back in the next beta, hopefully it'll get fixed at some point.
I now just constantly have my keyboard in BIOS mode and have put a bit of tape over the flashing white light.

JamSnack

Does plugging/unplugging also temporarily fix the issue with mice as well?

I thought this issue was fixed recently in one of the beta versions but then it came back in the next beta, hopefully it'll get fixed at some point.
I now just constantly have my keyboard in BIOS mode and have put a bit of tape over the flashing white light.
Unplugging my mouse immediately fixed the issue but that only last about an hour before it showed back up again. I haven't had this problem since my original post

zetro

The solution generally given is to unplug / replug the keyboard which does work, but personally that's inconvenient as I don't have easy access to the USB ports on the back of my tower, so I use a keyboard shortcut on the keyboard to do it.
What an odd situation, but this worked. Tyvm đź‘Ť

CHADALAK1

This should be a much higher escalated ticket to YYG. No one should EVER have to do this with their keyboard. Many many PC users have a Corsair keyboard and/or mouse. This also occurs on package build games. This is a massive problem that needs to be resolved. I'm not trying to be salty of this issue, but this issue has been going on for a veeerry long time. I want GM to be the best of the best, but this is a biiiiiig problem for not only developers, but for the end user that's going to be playing your game that can have this same issue.

rIKmAN

This should be a much higher escalated ticket to YYG. No one should EVER have to do this with their keyboard. Many many PC users have a Corsair keyboard and/or mouse. This also occurs on package build games. This is a massive problem that needs to be resolved. I'm not trying to be salty of this issue, but this issue has been going on for a veeerry long time. I want GM to be the best of the best, but this is a biiiiiig problem for not only developers, but for the end user that's going to be playing your game that can have this same issue.
There was never any issue for end users playing your game, the issue only affected developers when compiling projects inside the GM IDE.

For what it's worth, this issue hasn't happened to me for about a year now, maybe more but I couldn't pinpoint an exact time as it would reappear seemingly at random just as you thought it was fixed because it hadn't happened for a while.

I guess over that time it was either fixed in a GM update, a Corsair update (driver/firmware) or a Windows Update (I use Windows 10), but whichever it was it seems to have been finally solved for a while now.

Of course now I've said this it will happen again out of nowhere just because I've tempted fate...

Of course now I've said this it will happen again out of nowhere just because I've tempted fate...
Turns out it's back, at least for me. Never had the issue until just today, and it started up mid-way through a GMS 2 session. I will note that I don't have a Corsair keyboard or mouse, which suggests there might be another (possibly simultaneous) source of the bug. Uninstalling and reinstalling GMS 2 through Steam does not fix the issue. Interestingly the issue doesn't occur when the output is set to GX, only the Windows output seems to be affected. I don't have the Mac and Ubuntu outputs installed so I can't say anything about them.

Also, any executable files that I create and export from my project will not open, although they create a GameMaker game process in the Task Manager. I have not seen this particular problem being reported anywhere.

My Windows version and NVidia driver are up to date, and I'm using the latest IDE and runtime versions for GMS 2.

Edit: After restarting Windows (and my PC since Windows was stuck endlessly trying to shut down) the problem resolved itself. Interestingly Windows Defender Firewall popped up to inform me that it was blocking some features of GMS 2. I allowed access for GMS 2 before testing if the bug was still present; perhaps Defender Firewall was responsible this time.

Last edited:

rIKmAN

Edit: After restarting Windows (and my PC since Windows was stuck endlessly trying to shut down) the problem resolved itself. Interestingly Windows Defender Firewall popped up to inform me that it was blocking some features of GMS 2. I allowed access for GMS 2 before testing if the bug was still present; perhaps Defender Firewall was responsible this time.
I doubt it's Windows Defender, I tested that when I was suffering with it and the problem hasn't happened since I did a full update of my system when using Defender.

As I've mentioned above my own process with a Corsair K63 keyboard causing the issue was:

1) Fully Updated via Windows Update (Windows 10)
2) Updated all motherboard/system drivers.
3) Updated motherboard BIOS.
4) Updated SSD BIOS x2 + Software (Crucial+Samsung)
4) Updated K63 BIOS + iCue software.
5) Was using the latest Beta of GM.

I'm not sure which exact one fixed it as I did multiple things before rebooting and restesting etc and some might not apply to you (ie. no Corsair keyboard).

As it seems to be a USB issue I wanted to make sure Windows and specifically my motherboard bios/chipset+usb drivers were up to date, as well as the K63 which was causing the issue.
The rest I did just because I might as well while I was sat there doing those anyway!

Hopefully it won't come back because I know how annoying it is, but if it does at least your system is now up to date.

Zixtix

Also having this issue both in the IDE and the compiled exe files. There is a long pause between "Setting scheduler resolution to 1" and "Attempting to set gamepadcount to 12".

I am using a Logitech MX Master through the MT-Viki 8 Port HDMI KVM Switch, and after re-plugging the mouse, the slowdown went away.

Last edited: