• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Rules for Developers

Xer0botXer0

Senpai
Rules for Developers
These are not guidelines, we follow them to succeed.

Template

Rule:
Sticky Notes! Remember where you left off

Description:
Keep a noting a note of where you left off, what you were doing, and which objects/scripts/variables were involved will get you back into the game sooner.

Repercussions:
If we're away for a while and what we were working on hasn't stuck to mind, then we may come back with blanks and end up coding some part of the whole. When we run our games we'll get hit with bugs one after the other.

<Rules>

</Rules>

end note:
Why is this important ?
Code has rules that we have to follow otherwise we run into problems, we've got to understand the code and know how to apply the relevant syntax in order to achieve desirable results. As with many things in life.
When it comes to being a developer, what rules do we actually have for ourselves ?

Gamebot

Very true...however you don't want so many notes your whole desk has stickies everywhere you'll never find what you are looking for!

I tend to write everything down in a notebook. Unfortunately when that's full I need another one therfore, looking through at least two.
Eventually I get around to converging "like" notes ect..

Xer0botXer0

Senpai
Well I plan on printing this and sticking it to my wall behind the monitor when there's enough content, so don't be shy!

Changgi

I usually write things I want to do in a memo or text document. Helps with remembering things I need to code tomorrow and also overall makes it less overwhelming when I have multiple tasks.

Cpaz

I have a few, actually.

Rule:
Source control, keep everything managed and safe!

Description:
Self explanatory, I'd hope. In leau of git and bitbucket having free private repositories available, I see no reason to invest in getting one setup.

Repercussions:
Helps with task management. Also a great off-site backup solution.

Rule:
Game doc, and task management

Description:
Ideally a separate document to outline everything in you game. You can build it up incrementally as development goes on, with an end goal in mind. Or you can have a completed doc out of the gate, listing TODOs for individual points.

Repercussions:
Will likely lose focus if you're not keeping track of what has and hasn't been completed.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Rule:
Long A$S variable names

Description:
making that variable that holds the amount of bees you have ate very obvious as to what it does
GML:
var bees_that_steve_ate_when_object_destroy = 96;
Repercussions:
wth does
GML:
var a = 987554164845116464846 - 456148498 + global.K;
mean?