Discussion RQ: Terms/words to enchance dictionary

Z

zendraw

Hi,

i am currently seeking some sources like books or somthing where i can learn new words and terms that will enhance my dictionary so when i write i dont stop and wonder about what word to use, which happens alot at this point.

as of now i am reeding Lovecraft stories and ive gathered like around 200 words that im sure i will use. any books or sources you can suggest?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Dune. Read Dune. Not only will your vocabulary grow, but you'll learn about politics, religion, philosophy, family, life, death, love and just about everything else related to being human... :)

Z

zendraw

Thesaurus and Dictionary of course!
i mean in some context, like in a story. it gives more meaning to a word then just throwing it out there with some dead definition. were talkin art here :)

ElectroMan

Jack of All Shades
You could take a look at Hyperbole and a Half, for one.
Aside from that snark, two of my favourite books are 1984 and Siddhartha. The former has a very good, involving plot with very good stylistic choices that may inspire you. The former is phenomenal in terms of description and establishing the scenes. Unfortunately its original language is German, but if you find a faithful enough translation, hopefully that "wordsmithery" will shine through.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
i am currently seeking some sources like books or somthing where i can learn new words and terms that will enhance my dictionary so when i write i dont stop and wonder about what word to use, which happens alot at this point.

as of now i am reeding Lovecraft stories and ive gathered like around 200 words that im sure i will use. any books or sources you can suggest?
Poor grammar, misspellings and lazy punctuation diminish the effectiveness of a large vocabulary. So don't ignore the basics, as you learn new words.

Z

zendraw

You could take a look at Hyperbole and a Half, for one.
Aside from that snark, two of my favourite books are 1984 and Siddhartha. The former has a very good, involving plot with very good stylistic choices that may inspire you. The former is phenomenal in terms of description and establishing the scenes. Unfortunately its original language is German, but if you find a faithful enough translation, hopefully that "wordsmithery" will shine through.
i must say im more into made up stories, perhaps with a bit of fantasy, etc. not really a fan of books of war or pure relligion altho, your suggestion Siddhartha reminds me of The book of Mirdad, also a relligious book. i say relligious in the sense that it tryes to convey some deep message or somthing and that for me is very annoyng. what i essentially look for is made up stuff that plays with your mind and has a rich expression, without trying to teach you life or impress with some spiritual smarts. i have life to teach me that. also i just might be an eagle, who knows.