GameMaker RPG Stats tutorial?

O

OriginalGrim

I am making an RPG and have gotten to where several things I need t program require arrays, I decided to start with stats and use what I learn from working on this to do the other stuff. I can't find a good tutorial for this on youtube or online can anyone suggest some? also I don't know if this is the place to post this but it does have to do with programming so I think this is fine.

samspade

I am making an RPG and have gotten to where several things I need t program require arrays, I decided to start with stats and use what I learn from working on this to do the other stuff. I can't find a good tutorial for this on youtube or online can anyone suggest some? also I don't know if this is the place to post this but it does have to do with programming so I think this is fine.
If you're not already watching Friendly Cosmonauts stuff, I would start there. I don't think she has a stat tutorial, but she does do both her menus, inventories, and a number of other systems with arrays and she's good at teaching them. Also, she's doing a farming RPG tutorial which is slightly different but does have a number of relevant overlap.

Otherwise, if you want something slightly more complicated, you could probably look up college courses on arrays and similar subjects (on YouTube). They'd be in a different programming language but the array concept is pretty universal and those types of videos often cover a lot more of the nuance than you'd get from a specific do this thing with arrays.

Array Specific:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRqwX-V7Uu6bO9RKxHObluh-aPgrrvb4a

Full Intro Course:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4C4720A6F225E074

Last edited:
O

OriginalGrim

If you're not already watching Friendly Cosmonauts stuff, I would start there. I don't think she has a stat tutorial, but she does do both her menus, inventories, and a number of other systems with arrays and she's good at teaching them. Also, she's doing a farming RPG tutorial which is slightly different but does have a number of relevant overlap.

Otherwise, if you want something slightly more complicated, you could probably look up college courses on arrays and similar subjects (on YouTube). They'd be in a different programming language but the array concept is pretty universal and those types of videos often cover a lot more of the nuance than you'd get from a specific do this thing with arrays.

Array Specific:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRqwX-V7Uu6bO9RKxHObluh-aPgrrvb4a

Full Intro Course:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4C4720A6F225E074
I have been watching friendly cosmonauts but I was trying to find an example of a stat system or something that uses the same types of things(can't remember the word I want to use) for keeping track of and applying the stats to the particular character they apply to. If the menu and inventory videos will help me do this than i will go watch those.

samspade

I have been watching friendly cosmonauts but I was trying to find an example of a stat system or something that uses the same types of things(can't remember the word I want to use) for keeping track of and applying the stats to the particular character they apply to. If the menu and inventory videos will help me do this than i will go watch those.
If you want to learn arrays in Game Maker, I think that Friendly Cosmonaut is the best at using them even though she doesn't do it specifically for stats. Otherwise, arrays are very important and understanding they for the basis for lists, and grids and just in general how a lot of code works. So if there's going to be a subject you go outside of GML to learn, arrays are a good choice.

O

OriginalGrim

If you want to learn arrays in Game Maker, I think that Friendly Cosmonaut is the best at using them even though she doesn't do it specifically for stats. Otherwise, arrays are very important and understanding they for the basis for lists, and grids and just in general how a lot of code works. So if there's going to be a subject you go outside of GML to learn, arrays are a good choice.
Ok thanks for helping, I'm pretty much learning to code as I make my game so finding good tutorials is really important to me.