• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

room_speed Vs. fps

E

Electrino

Hi,

I just have a general question... but before I get into it, I just want to apologize for my stupidity when it comes to the inner workings of Game Maker and computers!

Anyways; I was just reading the manual and it says that these values (i.e., room_speed & fps) are often confused by users, implying that they have somewhat different meanings.
The manual describes the room_speed as the number of game steps that GameMaker: Studio is supposed to be completing in a second.
It then describes the fps as the number of CPU steps that GameMaker: Studio is actually completing in a second.
So here are my questions:

(i) Is my understanding correct when I say that the room_speed is just the capped value for the fps and with an optimally performing computer your game's fps should equal the room_speed? (Thereby, implying that if you had some other CPU intensive programs running at the same time, it may negatively affect your fps)

(ii) If the room_speed function is to only tell GameMaker the capped value for the fps, then it's a constant, right? As in, the room_speed can't drop like fps does?

(iii) If I set my room_speed to, say, 60 and the game experiences some lag (due to some reason) and the fps falls below 60...Will the fps = fps_real?

Thanks in advance for any explanations of the difference betwen the two... Im just trying to understand the distinction between them!

B

Braffolk

1. Yes. room_speed is the max fps. (in the current room)
2. It is not changed by Game Maker, unless you change the room. it's the current rooms max fps.
3. if the fps is below the room speed, yes fps is = fps_real

E

Electrino

Nice one...So I guess I had it straight in my head all along! Thanks for clearing that up!