• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Design Room size and resolution for console-only games (Xbox, PS4, Switch)

B

Biddum

Hello,

I was browsing the forums and have not found a clear answer or guidelines I should follow. If I plan on making a project only for console purposes (no Windows/Steam), is there an ideal room size and resolution I should stick to? Would building a 1080x1920 resolution be ideal? Are their any drawbacks of going 1080x1920?

RangerX

Room size have nothing to do with this all.
The resolution of your game is your view size. And for consoles it would be about making it 1920x1080. Its the most common TV resolution in the world and one that those 3 consoles are easily supporting.

B

Biddum

Just bringing this topic up again because I still have a bit of confusion now that I am starting my project.... So I want to have a 1920x1080 resolution. I have hi-res 1080p graphics I want to use for the game. If my game's levels are non-scrollable, meaning everything takes place on one screen, is it best to also make the room size a minimum of 1920x1080 pixels? Going any small would make things look off, right?

Niels

Just bringing this topic up again because I still have a bit of confusion now that I am starting my project.... So I want to have a 1920x1080 resolution. I have hi-res 1080p graphics I want to use for the game. If my game's levels are non-scrollable, meaning everything takes place on one screen, is it best to also make the room size a minimum of 1920x1080 pixels? Going any small would make things look off, right?
If your room is smaller than your view it would just draw black borders around your room. In your case it's best to make the room size the same size as the view.

B

Biddum

@Niels thank you for the advice! I figured that would be the true minimum size I could go (without black borders)

S

Shatter

If your room is smaller than your view it would just draw black borders around your room. In your case it's best to make the room size the same size as the view.
o_O

Isn't this only if the aspect ratio doesn't match the view? And also assumes that you are using the application surface.