• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

room pixels and native resolution

Pfap

I'm testing a project on ios and I want to make the sprites appear bigger, but I still want to fit as much content on the screen as I currently have. I'm struggling to conceptualize or haven't really learned how the native display and gamemaker room sizes work together. My sprites and everything feels good on Windows, but seems off on ios.

My rooms width is 432.
My rooms height is 768.

I have sprites that are 48 pixels wide, so I can have 9 of them lined up from left to right (432/48).

How would I go about making things bigger while maintaining the same amount of content?

At first glance I thought just make everything bigger; so switch to 64 pixel wide sprites and then make the room width size (64*9). But, that would put me back in the same situation as above right?

So, after turning things over in my head I'm starting to think this may just be the limitation of the screens native resolution? Which on an iPhone 6 is 1334x750.

Maybe you can steer me in the right direction or provide some insight?
Or is this strictly a limitation of the devices native resolution?

Last edited:

TheouAegis

So, you don't want to render it simply in full screen? He wants to actually change the sprites? Personally I would just render it in full screen and let the upscaling take over. otherwise you just black box it and leave everything at the same resolution as it is on a computer.

Pfap

So, you don't want to render it simply in full screen? He wants to actually change the sprites? Personally I would just render it in full screen and let the upscaling take over. otherwise you just black box it and leave everything at the same resolution as it is on a computer.
I am rendering it in full screen, and I think I possibly answered my own question in a way or found a better way to ask my question.

If you have a room in gamemaker that is less than the native resolution of the device and then render it in full screen it will be blown up to native size; conversely, if you have a room in gamemaker larger than the native resolution of the device and then render it in full screen it will be shrunk down. Is the previous statement correct? If so I really have no choice, but to alter my design which would mean changing the sprites.

TheouAegis

If you render it in fullscreen mode automatically, then yes it's scaled up. You could disable automatic drawing of the application surface and then in the GUI even draw the application surface. This would render everything scaled to match the GUI, which you can control a little better than the application_surface's default handling. Then again, I only just recently started fiddling around with this method.

Pfap

If you render it in fullscreen mode automatically, then yes it's scaled up. You could disable automatic drawing of the application surface and then in the GUI even draw the application surface. This would render everything scaled to match the GUI, which you can control a little better than the application_surface's default handling. Then again, I only just recently started fiddling around with this method.
Yea, I'm going to have to play around with actual elements in my room until I get looking how I want it to.

TheouAegis

Yea, I'm going to have to play around with actual elements in my room until I get looking how I want it to.
Well from what I saw, leaving the application surface size defaulted draws the room to it at normal scale. If you resize it, the room will get scaled to fit. If the GUI is set to 1:1 scale then the application surface can be rendered manually at 1:1 scale also even at full screen, but if the application surface is too small, it will put a black (or window color) box around it to fill the rest of the window. You can draw to this black box either in the GUI event if the GUI is large enough or the Predraw event if the GUI is also smaller than the window.

Pfap

Well from what I saw, leaving the application surface size defaulted draws the room to it at normal scale. If you resize it, the room will get scaled to fit. If the GUI is set to 1:1 scale then the application surface can be rendered manually at 1:1 scale also even at full screen, but if the application surface is too small, it will put a black (or window color) box around it to fill the rest of the window. You can draw to this black box either in the GUI event if the GUI is large enough or the Predraw event if the GUI is also smaller than the window.
I did try playing around with scaling the application layer and it did make things bigger, but it drew it outside the edges of the device. I guess there is only so much real estate to work with on a phone. I forgot to mention that my room is always in full view of the screen I don't have a camera or anyway to show different areas it's just 1 room which is always in full view.