• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Room or Layer editor is not aligning objects with snap to grid on

I just recently updated my GMS version to 2.3.2.560

I was just working on a project in GMS, and I noticed that the objects that I lay down are misaligned , even with the snap to grid on.

Why is this happening? Take notice of the purple squares...

gms_editorbug1.png

I kept trying to get it aligned but it just did not work... so the snap to grid is not working as Ive also notice that some the green squares have thicker borders
than others.

I have no idea if it will affect how the objects work in the room . Im actually building a prototype for a menu system that I will use in my game design.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Roldy

I just recently updated my GMS version to 2.3.2.560

I was just working on a project in GMS, and I noticed that the objects that I lay down are misaligned , even with the snap to grid on.

Why is this happening? Take notice of the purple squares...

View attachment 41159

I kept trying to get it aligned but it just did not work... so the snap to grid is not working as Ive also notice that some the green squares have thicker borders
than others.

I have no idea if it will affect how the objects work in the room . Im actually building a prototype for a menu system that I will use in my game design.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?
You will need to provide more information if you want help with this. e.g. Show the info panel of those purple blocks so we can see position/rotation. Show info on the white blocks so we can compare. Provide view resolution/ room size, sprite dimensions/origin, snap size, etc...

We need to be able to reproduce to help.

Most likely it is a scaling (purely visual) artifact.

Try to create a trim down version of this that demonstrates the issue. One or two blocks, zoom in, show the displacement/misalignment

EDIT: In addition to probably being a visual scaling issue, remember that each layer's grid size and snap settings are independent and can have different values.

EDIT2: If those purple blocks have been rotated then know holding 'shift' while rotating enable snap to 45 degree angles. The general snap setting I do not believe effects rotation by default.

Last edited:
You will need to provide more information if you want help with this. e.g. Show the info panel of those purple blocks so we can see position/rotation. Show info on the white blocks so we can compare. Provide view resolution/ room size, sprite dimensions/origin, snap size, etc...

We need to be able to reproduce to help.

Most likely it is a scaling (purely visual) artifact.

Try to create a trim down version of this that demonstrates the issue. One or two blocks, zoom in, show the displacement/misalignment
Well I went back in and had to delete all the instances, and add them one at a time by clicking on object from the resource panel and dragging them to the point of where I wanted them on the room layer.

I was holding down alt to put the images on, originally when I did all the squares, when I got the layer for my tool bar thats
when I noticed something was off .

resolution is 1600 x 800 for the room
resolution of those squares are 32 x 32
grid snap is 32 y and 32 x.

For some strange reason I cant find a feature where you can reposition the grid lines by using an off set from origin .
Originally I wanted the room size to be 1500 x 800 ... but 1500 / 32 = 46.8... which is not true... I was trying to recreate this
prototype picture for my menu system :

1500x800_space2_6.PNG

I gave up and changed the drawing plans....

So I read in the manual that holding ctrl has some affect of disconnecting the snap to grid feature. But I using alt, as I was learning
from Shawn Spalding in one of his videos...