• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Room IDE : room inheritance not working ?

MCHLV

Hello all,

I upgraded from 2.1 to 2.3 only a couple of months ago and I did not spot this right away but I think room inheritance is not working.
I would expect when I change a layer_name or depth in the Room Editor for the parent, that the children room would see those changes reflected ?

I also checked a very simple process:
- I create a new project
- I create a Room2 and create two instance_layer in there (Instances_2, Instances_1)
- I create a Child room : Room2_Child_0 + I check in the Room Manager that inheritance is ok. It is
- I delete the layer Instances_1 from Room2 (parent), to the warning I say 'delete all'
>> Layer is deleted in Room2 (parent), but still there in Room2_Child_0
- Same if I changed background layer to red in Room2 (parent)...
>> nothing happens in Child room
(I am on ide 2.3.2.560 runtime 2.3.2.426)

I am missing something ??

Thank for your help !
M.

rIKmAN

Hello,
So am I right in saying that room inheritance just does not work on 2.3 ?
When you follow the steps to report a bug, you are shown a list of "Known Issues" to check before you submit your report and if your issue appears on this list YYG ask you to not report it as they are already aware of it.

A quick look at this list shows the following 2 bugs which may be related to your own issues:
  • Room Editor: Instances in child rooms inherit variable values from grandparent room instead of parent
  • Room Inheritance: Room contents are not updated when Room Manager's inheritance values are updated
They are marked as "Reported" so as of yet no fix has been released.
If you have other issues which are not related to those listed then you should go ahead and report it.

Last edited:

MCHLV

Ok thank you very much !
I will report it as Room Inheritance : layers are not updated upon modifications in parent room. (it is going to be painful to update all my rooms one by one). Thanks for your help