• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Room Editor

S

sumofunk

The new Room Editor is awesome! That said, there's a few things I noticed but I'm not sure if anyone else has run into with questions(?)
Background Layers have a handful of nice properties to adjust, but intuitively I didn't see a setting to adjust alpha/opacity. I discovered I had to click on the unlabeled color bar to adjust color settings and found alpha there. It's nice it at least exists, but it doesn't offer a live preview of opacity as you adjust (which would be awesome) and it's a hidden from where I'd expect it to be naturally (alpha slider in the layer properties for background Layers).

I also found it strange to work with resizing objects within instance layers. For starters, this feature rocks! But the resizing graphic displayed for the cursor doesn't show any difference between scaling X vs Y, and no XY corner resizing. This makes resizing really awkward, even though it's a wonderful feature.

The IDE seems to have a hard time loading sprites in the room editor, or maybe just doesn't even try to until I click on or preview that layer. Actually, in general the sprite loading or caching in the resource trees and image editor can be slow to show. Sometimes it's just necessary to hide and unhide a layer to get images to show, both in the room editor and image editor. Anyone else notice this?

All in all, I'm loving gms2 and I hope to see the continued development polish it as we all use it and chirp our feedback. The last update was great, can't wait for the next one!

Z

zendorf

I also found it strange to work with resizing objects within instance layers. For starters, this feature rocks! But the resizing graphic displayed for the cursor doesn't show any difference between scaling X vs Y, and no XY corner resizing. This makes resizing really awkward, even though it's a wonderful feature.
When I created a thread about the lack of uniform scaling, Mike confirmed that it is not yet in there. At the moment there is only non-uniform scaling. Hopefully uniform scaling via using corners or a shift modifier key will be added soon. For a game level editor, most of the time you would want to use uniform scaling, not non-uniform, so hopefully this will be taken into account.