• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Room Editor mousewheel zoom does not behave right

A

alexandervrs

There seems to be something wrong with the mousewheel zoom in the Room Editor.

It seems that it doesn't base the zoom factor on the actual Room dimensions and when you zoom out, the factor is way too far off which often results in you finding yourself "somewhere" outside of the room bounds.

For test case, I used Paint Tool SAI & GameMaker Studio 1.4 which seem to have identical zoom methods that focus around the canvas/room size. It seems that GMS2 just doesn't care of the contents of the workspace and just zooms out without taking that into account.

The issue seems to be more apparent if you zoom out of the Room size and try to get back in (which is very easy to do in GMS2 because of the animation easing function or zoom step)

And here is a test case with the Room zoomed out and scrolling outside of the room bounds:

GameMaker Studio 2

GameMakerStudio 1

Paint Tool SAI

Does anyone else have this issue/finds this annoying?

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
GMS2 does zoom in on where ever the cursor is - this is correct, however we should probably clamp it a little as it's easy to get lost outside the room. I don't want to force to room bounds as I, like many others put objects and controllers outside the room so it's important that you can still do this.

Sometimes I have views way outside the room so I can do stuff dynamically in them and not have the room stuff mess with it, but we can take the bounds of everything currently there and not let you zoom out too far on it.

M

Mors

I think it would be much better if there was an option for switching between 2 zooming styles because I (almost) never put anything outside of the room and losing the room while zooming can be annoying sometimes.