1. Hey! Guest! The 35th GMC Jam will take place between November 28th, 12:00 UTC - December 2nd, 12:00 UTC. Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Question - IDE Room Editor - Inheritance issues

Discussion in 'GameMaker Studio 2 Community Tech Support' started by muddrox, Nov 6, 2019.

1. muddrox

muddrox Member

So recently I wanted to try out room inheritance to make my project more manageable. I am new to using Game Maker 2 after prying myself away from Game Maker Studio 1.4 but here I am. However, I have found room inheritance to be quite infuriating and it has led me to ask a number of questions that I wanted to open up to anyone who has the answers:

1-When I click "Inherit Layers," it inherits every layer in the parent room. That's annoying. Why can't I choose what layers I want to inherit?

2-If I change a single thing about any of the layers in the child room, it breaks the relationship to all the layers I inherited. Why can't I just break the relationship to one or two layers instead of losing parent-child inheritance to ALL of them?

3-If I delete and inherited layer I don't want, I instantly lose the parent-child relationship to all my inherited layers. Since I can't pick and choose what inherited layers I want from a single parent, why can't I at least delete the layers I don't want without sacrificing parent-child relationship with every layer that room is inheriting?

4-Why does all my inherited layers show up at the bottom of the list of layers even when their depth shows they should be listed at the top? This is confusing and rather odd to me.

5-Everytime I specify my own depth for any of the layers, especially ones I inherit, Game Maker shoves a warning in my face that says "User defined player depths are not adequately spaced ." OKAY. But if I don't define my own depth for these layers, it reorders these layers haphazardly toward the bottom and if I reorder them via, drag and drop, inheritance is shattered between all my inherited layers. WHY. It makes it feel impossible to allow Game Maker to manage the layer depths automatically while maintaining parent to child relationship.

So inheritance in Game Maker 2 feels at odds with itself. That, or I'm using it wrong. I am open to feedback and suggestions that can hopefully help me to work around the issues I mentioned above. It's really frustrating and it makes me wonder if I am missing something. Thank you.

Here is a screenshot that provides a visual of what I'm looking at:
    example 1.PNG

2. muddrox

muddrox Member