• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Room editor hangs momentarily when placing one, or more object into room

Cpaz

As the title would suggest, when placing one or more object into a room, the editor (if not the IDE entirely) hangs, or becomes unresponsive. It's only 1-3 seconds, but it adds up, and breaks the pace of editing.
It there any reason as to why this is? Or do I just have an outdated PC?

I've noticed that too...when I drag and drop an object into a room from my current project, it takes about 6 seconds for the object to appear in the room. My current project has around 400 objects and loads of sprites/scripts etc...

When I create a new blank project, everything default and just create one new, blank object, and then drag and drop that blank object into the default room0, there is no delay.

So it seems the size of the project/number of assets affect this delay on my computer.

This is on a laptop I purchased in 2011:
Laptop: ASUS K42JA
Windows 7 SP1 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i5-460M 2.53GHz
RAM: 4GB
GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon HD5730

Cpaz

I've noticed that too...when I drag and drop an object into a room from my current project, it takes about 6 seconds for the object to appear in the room. My current project has around 400 objects and loads of sprites/scripts etc...

When I create a new blank project, everything default and just create one new, blank object, and then drag and drop that blank object into the default room0, there is no delay.

So it seems the size of the project/number of assets affect this delay on my computer.
Interesting... I'll bet it's something to do with the IDE itself having to search through each object individually, or something of the like (I don't know how the inner workings are made, so I can't really say for sure).
It would be nice to have this insight though!

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Try changing the powersaving options (in the Preferences) and see if that helps? If you think it's related to the size of the project, you should probably file a bug report too (and include a link to the project - it won't be made public).

Cpaz

Power options are maxed already (due to an older bug where GMS2 thought is was always unfocused)
Filing bug report.

Just for extra info, the delay is the same whether I am on 5% power or 100% power. Empty project, the UI is responding immediately. My current project, UI takes around 6-9 seconds to update.

Same thing happens in the room editor when I use the mouse to drag and change the order of layers. If I click on a layer.

I'll click-and-hold the left mouse button on a layer, the layer will be highlighted immediately. Then, I immediately drag the layer to another position and let go of the mouse. The UI doesn't update for another 6-9 seconds, however, it does recognise that I moved the layer, because after the delay, the layer pops over to the new position.

Just for extra info, the delay is the same whether I am on 5% power or 100% power. Empty project, the UI is responding immediately. My current project, UI takes around 6-9 seconds to update.

Same thing happens in the room editor when I use the mouse to drag and change the order of layers. If I click on a layer.

I'll click-and-hold the left mouse button on a layer, the layer will be highlighted immediately. Then, I immediately drag the layer to another position and let go of the mouse. The UI doesn't update for another 6-9 seconds, however, it does recognise that I moved the layer, because after the delay, the layer pops over to the new position.

Cpaz

Some more info, I've been noticing that the bigger a given room gets (more tiles and objects), the longer the IDE hangs. It's akin to GMS 1.4's room editor lagging out (MUCH worse though).
I hope this can get resolved soon!

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
We've found an issue with this. If you press and hold "ALT" while drawing instances, it should behave better for now.

Thanks for the update.

Interestingly, I just went to test this - and the delay is not happening for me right now. This is using normal mouse drag and drop, I'm not using the "ALT" key fix. Still using the same version of GMS 2 as before ( IDE 2.0.5.77, Runtime 2.0.5.49 ).

When I drag and drop an object into a room in my current large-ish project there is no delay. Re-arranging layers - no delay.

I can't think of anything right now that I've changed. So can't test the "ALT" key usage right now unfortunately.

Happy that's its smooth right now though...puzzled but happy.

If I can reproduce the delay I'll report back.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
It depends how much is on the layer you're adding to. If there's lots there, it can take "pause" badly in places, but if it's mostly empty you probably won't notice.

Hello again, without any changes that I know of, there is again delay when dragging objects and layers around.

Holding down ALT doesn't work for me in this case, there is still a delay between when I drag the object and when the UI registers that I'm doing do. After the delay, keeping ALT held down lets me paste instantly many times no problem.

In the attached GIF, when a white circle appears at the mouse pointer, that's when I've got the left mouse button held down. You can see after I release the mouse button there is a delay. There is a tiny timestamp in the bottom right corner to show the time passing.

I'm guessing it might have something to do with my machine, because as I mentioned earlier, there are times when it runs smooth as butter.

I have tried restarting my PC, disabling anti-virus, making sure no other process are running. It's not a new laptop by any means, but it does have a proper video card and is capable of playing reasonably heavy games like Skyrim and Just Cause 2 etc...without any problems. So I don't think it's totally under-powered.

Anyway here's the GIF : First you will see me trying to drag any drop a single item. Then after that I try using the ALT key. Both methods show a delay before the first instance can be placed.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
You still look like your dragging in at this point? Click an object on the resource tree. The move to the room and press ALT. The object should now appear under your cursor and let you "paint" with it.

Cpaz

We've found an issue with this. If you press and hold "ALT" while drawing instances, it should behave better for now.
That's what I've been doing, yes. That's what I was using while reporting this issue, and what I'm still using. With no improvement.
Again, this depends on the overall contents of the room, but still makes little sense why it hangs so badly.

EDIT: While on the topic of the IDE hanging, while dragging windows around in the workspace, the IDE hangs. Object, sprite, sound, whatever, it's noticeable there too.