• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Room backgrounds

So I had a couple of questions about the room editor, specifically backgrounds, when I make my background sprite, and set the horizontal speed to equal -3 or something, in the preview it works fine and it slides across the screen, but is there any way I can get it to repeat? and when I run the game the background seems to smear itself, like it is still moving horizontally but it is not going away or maintaining its shape it just like I said, smears itself, does anyone know why this is being caused?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
To make it repeat set the horizontal and / or vertical tiling option. As for this "smearing" you talk about, it's almost impossible to debug without an example video or gif.

Thank you! and im very sorry I did not realize, here you go!
Screenshot (19).png
this is what it is "supposed" to look like, as you can see the smearing already started, im sorry I could not get a better picture, it happens as soon as my game starts.Screenshot (20).png
and this is when I continue to let it smear, any idea what this is?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I think that this is being caused by not having a background layer of colour in your room. Even if you have a background graphic, you should always have a layer under that with a flat colour (like black). This is because, if you don't, then you'll get the effect shown above as images will be getting drawn to the display buffer, but nothing is clearing the display buffer between frames, so you get this "smear" effect. Adding a flat colour background will clear the display buffer at the start of each frame and prevent this.