Game Mechanics Rogue like platformer mechanics.

G

graviax

I'm making a rogue like platformer, and i've been out of idea for the movement mechanics.

the player can wall jump, dash, dash jump, no double jump or real mid air control.
But I wanted to implement some kind of emergent mechanics like rocket jumping or grappling hook or something else, and that's why I made this thread to ask you if you have any idea what's this "emergent" mechanics can be.

S

Snail Man

One very versatile movement mechanic I think is overlooked a lot of the time is jumping off enemies' heads like in the Mario games. With careful level design and by making your character bounce slightly higher when bouncing off an enemy's head, there can be some interesting emergent moments from that

G

graviax

Thanks for replying.

Maybe you could look into a 2d Portal like system?
The portal system would be pretty cool but, unfortunately it doesn't fit with the theme of the game.
But it's my fault since I didn't said that you need the mechanics to fit in the game theme.

One very versatile movement mechanic I think is overlooked a lot of the time is jumping off enemies' heads like in the Mario games. With careful level design and by making your character bounce slightly higher when bouncing off an enemy's head, there can be some interesting emergent moments from that
the bouncing mechanics can be interesting, I'll look into it.

As for the theme of the game, it's just a bunch of drunk redneck truckers killing every gang rival they know to avenge the death's of one of their comrade(see my profile picture).

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
The first thing that comes to mind that fits the theme is "rolling around on their fat bellies / ragdolling in a physics-based world". Not sure if you'd like to program that in or if you've gotten too far with the engine. :p

G

graviax

The first thing that comes to mind that fits the theme is "rolling around on their fat bellies / ragdolling in a physics-based world". Not sure if you'd like to program that in or if you've gotten too far with the engine. :p
No ragdolling won't look good with the aesthetic of the game BUT rolling around their fat bellies could be fun, I tried to implement that by making some momemtum mechanics with slopes ect... but I can't code ramps collision...