Beta Rocco and Renwick - Wacky Platformer

pixeltroid

ok....I finished the demo.

rrr.jpg

Overall, graphics, sound and gameplay are excellent. Definitely one of the best I've seen on this forum!

Your game has some very creative level, enemy and object design (I loved the bite effect on the pick ups and room transitions). Good work!

A few comments:

- The controls felt a little difficult to master. The way the main character takes time to accelerate felt weird at first.
- I'd love to see your game with alternate controls (WASD to move and P&O to shoot and jump)
- You have excellent characters and story... good enough to be made into a very marketable franchise! So why do you want to...limit your audience...by putting in cus words and adult themes? Just my opinon, its upto you to decide how you want to market your game!

BTW, consider posting your game on gamejolt or itch.io as it really helps promote your game, and will let you keep track of how many people play and download your game! It will also make it easier for platformer fans to find your game!

Anyway, I am looking forward to new updates! Good luck!!

GarlicGuy

@pixeltroid Thanks ton for playing my game and the feedback!

Making a franchise has always been in the back of my mind, and I want everyone to enjoy the characters...So getting rid of the cursing is a good idea...Also a pretty easy fix as only a few characters (like one NPC and the main bad guy) curse.
I did post the game on itch.io and gamejolt...But I haven't updated those in a long while. I post mostly here and tigsource forum.

I made a video review of your game for you!
Thanks for playing the game + recording + reviewing Saivellez! I really appreciate your honesty!

The overall look of some of the platforms/tiles will be improved ones I can focus on polishing. I noticed a few glitches while you were playing as well. The exclamations over the NPC's means they have a mission for you.
Thanks again! I will check out your game as well.

Last edited:

pixeltroid

@pixeltroid
Making a franchise has always been in the back of my mind, and I want everyone to enjoy the characters...So getting rid of the cursing is a good idea...Also a pretty easy fix as only a few characters (like one NPC and the main bad guy) curse.
Hey its not just the cussing. But some other parts of the game as well: like the inflatable sex doll and the strip bar. IMO they serve no purpose in the games storyline and feel rather forced. Sexual kind of humor really feels out of place in a game with characters that something younger kids can enjoy. :D

GarlicGuy

Hey its not just the cussing. But some other parts of the game as well: like the inflatable sex doll and the strip bar. IMO they serve no purpose in the games storyline and feel rather forced. Sexual kind of humor really feels out of place in a game with characters that something younger kids can enjoy. :D
Awe come on the strip club is just dancing cows! :p I'll explain my thought process behind these points. Both story and gameplay wise:

-Strip club stage
Gameplay wise: The strip club stage was designed so the player wouldn't be able to use the double jump (Renwick) and gets instant death by touching the dancers.
Story-wise: putting the mayor in some generic hideout just seemed basic and uncreative.

-Sex doll of the mayor
Story-wise: The Sex Doll is supposed to be a red herring of the mayor it makes the player feel as though they've completed the mission of finding the mayor, but it was just a creepy weirdos doll. The only other option was a random dead body...But that was too dark for this game
Gameplay wise: The doll is inflatable so that it can fly out of the underground area and the player won't need to randomly collect it - just pop it in anger and it finds it's own way out. This forces player to run back empty handed and is chased upward by gnomes unsuspectingly.

I LOVE your feedback, but the crass humor is kind of the identity I've been trying to develop for the game. You don't see it much, and it makes for creative interactions and scenarios you would not find in the average indie platformer. I will cut back the cursing though.

------

PROGRESS

Added a Sprite (Water Spirit) Riding section in the LABYRINTH stage. You're interrupting their pool party. *all visuals are beta. Polish will come later!*

Last edited:

CMAllen

Awe come on the strip club is just dancing cows! :p I'll explain my thought process behind these points. Both story and gameplay wise:

-Strip club stage
Gameplay wise: The strip club stage was designed so the player wouldn't be able to use the double jump (Renwick) and gets instant death by touching the dancers.
Story-wise: putting the mayor in some generic hideout just seemed basic and uncreative.

-Sex doll of the mayor
Story-wise: The Sex Doll is supposed to be a red herring of the mayor it makes the player feel as though they've completed the mission of finding the mayor, but it was just a creepy weirdos doll. The only other option was a random dead body...But that was too dark for this game
Gameplay wise: The doll is inflatable so that it can fly out of the underground area and the player won't need to randomly collect it - just pop it in anger and it finds it's own way out. This forces player to run back empty handed and is chased upward by gnomes unsuspectingly.

I LOVE your feedback, but the crass humor is kind of the identity I've been trying to develop for the game. You don't see it much, and it makes for creative interactions and scenarios you would not find in the average indie platformer. I will cut back the cursing though.
I must admit, I like the way you break up expectations when the game shifts from the side-scroller to top-down or a fps-racer. "Yeah, we got that, too."

pixeltroid

-Strip club stage

-Sex doll of the mayor
hmmm.. its up to you. But I still think showing a sex doll and a strip club is a little over the top for a game like yours.

I understand that you want to throw in a few adult jokes but IMO it can be done more subtly so as to give it layers of meaning. For example, change the sex doll into the mayor's "robotic personal assistant" -- a sexy robot!
Because sexbots a thing, right? And Mayors have personal assistants right? :D

Something-s-a-Ms-powerpuff-girls-5222056-320-240.jpg

And then you could make it so that it malfunctions and fights you when you find it. So you give players a mini-boss battle!!

That way:

- adult players "get" your joke about the mayor's use of sex toys
- younger audiences just see it as the mayors assistant
- the sexual joke is weaved into your game.
- players get a mini-boss battle

IDK man, its upto you. Your game is fun. And I'm having fun thinking up of ideas! :D
I just think double meaning jokes have more of an impact than a direct in-your-face approach.

Good luck! and keep us posted.

GarlicGuy

@pixeltroid

That’s what I like about this project, I can literally do whatever I want and it fits within the games goofy logic, which really opens up ones imagination.

Hmm yeah I actually may go with the Mayor robot idea. To be honest, the sex doll was one of my wife’s (questionable) ideas...

And maybe I could make the strip club into a dance club....The strip club stage is still SEVERELY unfinished and unpolished visually (even for a beta) anyway.

I’m open to ideas as long as they aren’t drastic. I’ll also give credit where credit is due.

Last edited:

GarlicGuy

New Water Level foes

Added a few new foes, Chester, a mimic chest who chomps. Swimming Water Spirits/mermaids - which don't do damage but bump into you, and eels that you cannot damage - they just shock you (complete with new electrocution animation).

I plan to have a few underwater swim sections throughout the game. The labyrinth won’t be the only one. Not sure if I should add air bubbles and a count down...Maybe in more polluted waters.

Last edited:

GarlicGuy

Cutscenes + Emotions

Tweaked a few things with the way I design cutscene. Characters icons now show some emotion.

Added a new cutscene for when you first enter the Wasteland World. I don't plan on going overboard with cutscenes on text.

I honestly think that this is the most whimsical, eccentric game that I have ever seen. I'm going to follow this thread, because I want to see what happens next.

... which could be literally anything

GarlicGuy

I honestly think that this is the most whimsical, eccentric game that I have ever seen. I'm going to follow this thread, because I want to see what happens next.

... which could be literally anything
Thanks for following! And the kind words!

----

Made some new NPC's, I love NPC's so much I draw them up before they even really have a purpose in game. Some end up becoming enemies. I add other characters for size reference.

GarlicGuy

Added a new city-themed HUB world named Vanta City. It is actually the homeworld of the protagonists and where the sewer intro stage takes place.

Each HUB world has its own plot, and even after completing all of the missions don't expect to see the same NPC's standing around forever repeating the same line...New NPC's appear with new missions after doing things in other HUB worlds.

The city HUB world allows me to make urban-themed stages. Slums, Banks, Sewers, rooftops.

The gif is boss stage on rooftops.

Added a new city-themed HUB world named Vanta City. It is actually the homeworld of the protagonists and where the sewer intro stage takes place.

Each HUB world has its own plot, and even after completing all of the missions don't expect to see the same NPC's standing around forever repeating the same line...New NPC's appear with new missions after doing things in other HUB worlds.

The city HUB world allows me to make urban-themed stages. Slums, Banks, Sewers, rooftops.

The gif is boss stage on rooftops.

Hey! Overall great progress.
There is a lot of life in the areas you are making and within the gameplay itself. I am looking forward to playing the demo once I get the chance later today. love all of the games that are ur inspirations for this.really looking forward to seeing more.

How long has this been in development?

GarlicGuy

Hey! Overall great progress.
There is a lot of life in the areas you are making and within the gameplay itself. I am looking forward to playing the demo once I get the chance later today. love all of the games that are ur inspirations for this.really looking forward to seeing more.

How long has this been in development?
Thanks!

It’s been in production for about 2 years. Haven’t hit any snags or lost interest in it I’m just figuring out how to wrap things up story wise.

Demo is kind of old, I’ve refined a few things since posting it. But I hope you enjoy it! I’m excited for to play Black Hill by they way.

R

Red Phantom

I love the pirate ghost and his moving/wiggling animation.
Honestly this game looks like a piece of gold, seriously impressive graphics that aren't just a copy of another games' graphics.
Individual sprites are great yet manage to work well together, well done.
Can't wait to see more!

GarlicGuy

Clocktower with gears. Like everything else, I'll clean it up later.

Not trying to go overboard with the overall size or content in this game...but don't want it to feel like it's stuffed with filler stages.

GarlicGuy

Getting close

Over the past few days I’ve only been working for a hour a so....But I’m literally 2 stages, 4 missions, 1 (2 part) Boss fight, and 2 cut scenes away from finishing this game. Not including the polish I could finish it in a few days.

I’ve trimmed a lot of fat, and made a lot of aspects more simple/streamlined.

I still have tons of ideas that I couldn’t add to the game (or had to remove) but that’s what sequels and spin offs are for.

GarlicGuy

MAJOR CHANGES

I've decided to make the game more streamlined/linear...So I've removed the world select system. The game basically moves along the way it does in the demo.

There are still town segments with NPC's...But the story drives everything forward, not a world select screen that forces the player to return to the same areas with new items that open doors.

This allows me more freedom for creativity and makes the universe of the game seem vast.

I've changed one stage from "generic horror-themed stage" to a mansion haunted by a deceased pudding pop entrepreneur and TV personality.

Last edited:

GarlicGuy

I've been trying to improve my level design by using Megaman techniques....Basically the game teaches you as you go and ramps up the difficulty at a steady pace. The Megaman technique also gave me a better grip on how to divide each stage into sort of a pattern with each room (scrolling, vertical, fixed etc...) this mixes things up...But allows the player to adapt.

An example in the Haunted Pudding Mansion. The first room is a scrolling section where the player must avoid "Back Stabber Ghosts", second room is fixed and introduces the slippery pudding sections, third room combines the first and second challenges, fourth room introduces the darkness mechanic using the glow of the mouse eyes to guide the player...and so on

I've been putting the room color system to good use. It allows me to darken or brighten the rooms and inhance certain colors. The green windows in the mansion give the rooms a green spooky glow...Then you go in a dim blue room. Sun sets give of a red hue etc....

Long story...short it's meant to enhance the presence of the background by tinting the other visual components. Very subtle.

Last edited:

GarlicGuy

Trying not to rush the process....Taking my time to make sure I'm 100% satisfied with my work, and scrapping a few things. I've made some new music, changed a few game mechanics.

There is now a PacMan like ability in the Ghost house, I've also made it more of a house and less of a castle. There's a little bit of Luigi's mansion vibe, because after eating all of the ghosts (using the ghost eater pill) the room brightens up, the music changes, allowing you can progress. Enemy clearance based progression isn't common in the game.

I'm still having fun making NPC's as well.

R

Red Phantom

Excited for the final completion of this and of course playing it then, I really like the great variety of NPCs and environment.
Do you intend on updating the demo or you'd prefer not to?

GarlicGuy

Excited for the final completion of this and of course playing it then, I really like the great variety of NPCs and environment.
Do you intend on updating the demo or you'd prefer not to?
Thanks! I'm thinking about making another demo, only because the last one I posted is VERY old.

--------

I drew more NPC's. These are from the Swamp World. Where everyone is Rocco's cousin. The gameplay of the stage is reminiscent of Donkey Kong Country

Last edited:

GarlicGuy

- Swamp -

I'm not going to spoil each world. As mentioned there are Kong inspired cannon sections. The plot of the stage revolves around Rocco's "Family" wanting to keep him from leaving home again, while he is just passing through to collect objects.

CMAllen

I think I shared the tank stage...I've edited it quite a bit since then.

Some parts of the game require brain use!!

Be sure to include some sort of prior demonstration that hanging wall elements like pictures can be knocked down by doing a body slam on the ground that way -- maybe even an earlier mini-boss or some such with more overt directions. Don't just throw it at players from out of nowhere and expect them to figure it out, because there's nothing remotely obvious about that kind of interaction -- all that kind of thing does is foster frustration.

GarlicGuy

Full screen is a "GO"....Still wanting more from my game

Finally got the resolution just right for full screen. This makes creating gifs very tough (not really important).

I was trying to have the game finished by October...But after playing it from start to finish multiple times earlier this month.... I've felt that is needs more substance...The game felt a little too short...But I'm not a fan of repetitive game play or filler.

I brought back a few old scrapped concepts like the "Moon Levels"...Which were just simple platformer sections.

Rocco has little to no animation in his movement in these levels due to the awkward way one is forced to move on the moon (without falling over). A neat little shader is used for the tiny planet look. Fits the games cartoony feel.

Last edited:

CMAllen

Maybe add a *little* bit of movement in his arms/legs. Nothing like his normal movements, but just enough to break up the exaggerated stiffness he has now.

GarlicGuy

Taking is slow....

I still have a sense of urgency when it comes to completing my project....But I'm in no rush.

There are some "metroidvania like" segments in the game...

The gif below is a clip from world 3 'The Hole' an underground/cave themed world....Falling down the first lift takes you to a dark tunnel...

I will draw sign telling the player "dark tunnel below", as it's not meant to be a secret.

GarlicGuy

Finally adapted to GMS 2 after I bought it a year ago.

Finally...Ive converted Rocco And Renwick from GMS 1.4 to GMS 2.....Had no idea I could animate tiles, and backgrounds without creating new objects or using multiple backgrounds!

....and I wish someone told me about sequences, I developed my own little “janky” cutscene engine already....I could’ve made them so much smoother with sequences!

These additions will make polishing the game less of a chore...I’m excited to actually use these new functions for my next projects.

Last edited:

GarlicGuy

Playing with sequences

I haven't seen much exciting work done with the sequence function...But the possibilities are almost endless! I'll be using it for cutscenes that have no dialog. For the sake of time I'm not attempting anything spectacular. FPS will be a bit slower.

This sequence is from a segment about Rocco and Renwick being overshadowed by more capable heroes.

CMAllen

Needs a POW! effect when Rocco gets punched out of the viewport. Maybe a quick, hunker-down charge animation just before the punch goes off, too. It plays fast enough right now that it takes one or two viewing to realize what's going on.

GarlicGuy

Adding more and more NPC's

The game is clearly a platformer but I'd like to call it an adventure game. The game doesn't get wordy, but the Starfox/BanjoKazooie voice acting at least makes it whimsical.