Free Rob -The Cowboy [Platformer]

W

Walky

I liked the sound effects. Did you record some of them? (the dying screams sound a lot like homemade).

T

Tumble&Weird

I liked the sound effects. Did you record some of them? (the dying screams sound a lot like homemade).
Thank you!
I made the music, but the sound effects are from various sources online. Planning to record my own for the next game, though. :)

M4nu

Well, it certainly is not for adults. I liked the menus, the transitions, the effects, the music is not bad, the text seems written in an intelligent and country-side specific way The game mechanics are kinda childish and there are a few glitches such as when you jump right above the first hideaway, you kinda know where the graphics have been split to allow that hideaway into the earth. Some things are illogical like you jumping and standing on the enemy's hat; the enemy being able to stand over you also. Then again those barrels spawning on and on from nowhere, with no particular and practical reason; not being able to pick up the knife; and that torch it was not especially obvious you are saving the game, until you realize you can't pick up the torch. Played till halfway in level 2. It ain't for me.

T

Tumble&Weird

Well, it certainly is not for adults. I liked the menus, the transitions, the effects, the music is not bad, the text seems written in an intelligent and country-side specific way The game mechanics are kinda childish and there are a few glitches such as when you jump right above the first hideaway, you kinda know where the graphics have been split to allow that hideaway into the earth. Some things are illogical like you jumping and standing on the enemy's hat; the enemy being able to stand over you also. Then again those barrels spawning on and on from nowhere, with no particular and practical reason; not being able to pick up the knife; and that torch it was not especially obvious you are saving the game, until you realize you can't pick up the torch. Played till halfway in level 2. It ain't for me.
I truly appreciate your feedback!
It is my first game, and i realise there are a few things that could be done differently. Like, i didn't catch that graphics glitch, even with a thousand playthroughs.
I'm surprised that you managed to get an enemy to stand on you that early in the game, but yes. What you are saying is possible.
I assume the barrels you mention are the underground ones in the start of level 2. They where put there to help exiting the "tunnel". I later realised it was possible without them, but left them in, as i thought exiting could get a bit tricky without them.
Never even thought about picking up the knife, but thats a good point. I thought the torches made sense, but that might not be clear enough.

I respect that the game is not for you. But if i could somehow convince you to play through the 6 levels (it's not that long of a playthrough), and give feedback, it would mean a great deal to me. -You are obviously very good at reviewing games.

Thank you for playing.

woodsmoke

I only watched the video. Although the graphics are a bit crude they did set up a good western atmosphere. Gameplay doesn't interest me though. Still a solid performance for a first game.

T

Tumble&Weird

I only watched the video. Although the graphics are a bit crude they did set up a good western atmosphere. Gameplay doesn't interest me though. Still a solid performance for a first game.
Thank you for the feedback! I am looking into different ways of doing the graphics for the next project.

M4nu

So here is my 100% test.

Categorized by "illogical"

-the punching sound effects when nothing is hit
-enemies not affected by cactus though they clearly hit it
-Rob's health going to -5. Zero should be sufficient
-landing next to the long-barrel shooter or standing right near him does no damage to Rob, the enemy does not punch. His gun barrel is too long so he shoots next to Rob.
-barrel falling on to enemy's head does no damage to him
-shooting is only in the direction you face. The player does not automatically turn around if you are shooting at the enemy but not facing it. However, the enemy with the 2 guns can actually run in the opposite direction and shoot backwards at you.
-falling from high platforms does no damage
-Each time you run past a ladder, although you might not want to descend it, the sprite changes to the one that will descend it, and slows the player down in his movement across a platform
-Level 6. If you go past the spikes on the moving platforms and you descend over by the barbershop, you have the possibility to reach the spikes by foot without jumping into them. It's a bit illogical that you'd get instant death just by walking into them and not falling onto them. In this case the spikes would be compared to a knife cut.

Category "Glitch"

-In level 4 after you open the 1st entrance and you make that enemy run after you down the hill, he gets stuck halfway through. If you approach him while stuck he does cut you but otherwise he attempts to move left and right whilst being frozen to a fixed point. (See image 3)
-in Level 4 after you pass those 4 trampolines, there is a barrel you can push all the way till it falls below the ladder. At that point when I punched it, the sprite automatically switched to the one with the dynamite and the barrel exploded and killed the player.
-In level 4 after you travel with the 1st moving platforms and then you jump on the steps, there is a guy with a gun waiting for you at the end of those but he doesn't shoot. Normally in other levels that same enemy would shoot the moment you saw him, not this time, the enemy simply stood there with the gun pointing at you but not shooting. Only if you reach the 2nd step distance to him, does he shoot. On the other hand you can shoot him and he'll do nothing.
-At one point I had 1 enemy stand over the other and a barrel was next to the lower enemy. But the top enemy would not approach towards me by walking over the barrel. (See image 1). Only if I went there to punch him did he realize he can walk on the barrel towards me.

Category "Silliness"

-the farting when he grapples the ladder....it's just silly. I noticed the camera moves slightly while he does it. What's the point of that? Why would you make the player fart? It's not a good joke for everyone. The only reason I'd see is so that you know he is on a ladder when ladders are underground and you don't see them. But otherwise you could very well change that sound.

Attachments