• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Discussion Rob Hubbard

Sabnock

Most of you are most likely too young to remember the C64 and the legend that is Rob Hubbard but for those of you that do know there is currently a Official Rob Hubbard Kickstarter: hardback book, Rob back in the studio, new SIDs, a C64 cart and maybe the London Symphony Orchestra! being held until the 5th November.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/c64audio/project-hubbard-official-rob-hubbard-kickstarter

for those of you who don't know he is - Rob Hubbard is a British composer best known for his composition of computer game theme music, especially for microcomputers of the 1980s such as the Commodore 64 and I genuinely believe that home computer gaming wouldn't be what it is today without him.

check him out here.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The Sentient

Ha! Too young to remember Rob Hubbard!

Love his work. Along with the other greats of the time (Matt Gray, Reyn Owuehand, and other legends in the genre)

G

Guest User

I am and will always be a HUGE fan of Robs, I just love his music so much, even these days I find tunes like Commando, Delta, Monty on the Run, Zoids etc popping into my head for days on end.

I loved reading about him doing the Commando tune, they phoned him up and said would he do the music, he jumped on a train and went to meet them (Elite Systems)
He started working on the music there and then and soon it was the middle of the night and he was the only one in the building, by the time the other people came back in the morning, he'd finished all the music and all the sounds effects. Awesome stuff!

I still think Zoids is one of my fave tunes and it's very underrated, sure it takes time to "get going" but then it's great and quite frankly the music was way better than the game was ;)

I remember Rob wanting to do a live concert a few years back, he considered it and looked into it but then realised there was no way he could play the music on the keyboard as fast as the C64 played it. lol

Some of my other "Sid" favourites include:- Martin Galway and Ben Daglish.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Hell yes, I remember Rob Hubbard! I spent many a pound on games JUST because they carried his music, I loved his stuff so much. Fantastic musician who really advanced the use of music in video games.

S

SubspaceAudio

This guy is an old school game audio legend. Everyone should definitely check out his work!

H

Horror Games

Too young to remember Rob Hubbard??? This guy is a legend and a fantastic musician.

Carnivius

He's definitely one of those great old school legends who used the now ancient sound chips to amazing effect to make highly catchy and memorable tunes so that even when the game was bad you'd still load it up and play just to listen to the music.

S

Smarty

I went through dreadfully long error-prone tape loads just to listen to the International Karate or Warhawk tracks. What he did with that 4 channel Pokey chip was out of this world. Well, 30 years ago anyway.

He's definitely one of those great old school legends who used the now ancient sound chips to amazing effect to make highly catchy and memorable tunes so that even when the game was bad you'd still load it up and play just to listen to the music.
Long time ago I read an article about him that said he tried to develop games by himself, but that upon first review a distributor said the music was great but that the game absolutely sucked.

And oh hi, good to see you & Nocturne still around.

T

TheNoobHunter

Rob Hubbard, Jeroen Tel, Tim Follin. Hands down my favorite chiptune composers of the era.

S

Smarty

Rob Hubbard, Jeroen Tel, Tim Follin. Hands down my favorite chiptune composers of the era.
A couple of years ago, I was at a concert where a relatively young bunch of musicians were doing an orchestra concert with adaptations of C-64 game music, with some music by Hubbard and Tel. A very pleased grinning member of the audience standing beside my company, turned out to be Jeroen Tel himself, invited for this occasion. He told us this career started very early, having been flown over to England to talk with the big companies about putting his music in their games. If I remember well he was no older than 13 or 14 when that happened.

Unfortunately no Hubbard to be spotted anywhere at the same concert.

T

TheNoobHunter

A couple of years ago, I was at a concert where a relatively young bunch of musicians were doing an orchestra concert with adaptations of C-64 game music, with some music by Hubbard and Tel. A very pleased grinning member of the audience standing beside my company, turned out to be Jeroen Tel himself, invited for this occasion.
Wow, that's incredible. I've talked to Jeroen Tel online before, but talking to him in person must be a whole other level.

S

Smarty

Wow, that's incredible. I've talked to Jeroen Tel online before, but talking to him in person must be a whole other level.
I'm not the type to get starstruck in that way, but he was a friendly fellow to chat with. A smart and creative hobbyist, not unlike many here, but one who managed to land his dream job (like only a few here).

S

steroho

you can find a lot of his music in oscilloscope view on youtube, it's SO useful to be able to see the wave patterns

he's a great artist to study for people who want to learn how to compose classic chiptune tracks