Free Road Warriors 2

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder

Back Again!

Take the battle to the highway in your trusty bubble tanks! Dodge flashy bullet patterns as you struggle to take down giant enemy mechs, giant enemy tanks, and wave after wave of enemy helicopters and robots!

Just Like The Good Ol' Days!
Road Warriors 2 is a vertical, arcade-style shmup inspired by titles like Giga Wing and Ikaruga, with tight, fast-paced gameplay with a focus on getting the highest possible score through a limited number of stages. Your multiplier increases the longer you go without getting hit, the higher up you are on the screen, the more rings you collect from destroyed enemies, and the more bosses you defeat, allowing for infinite replayability as you challenge your friends to the highest score!

Tons Of Features!
  • 4 difficulty settings allowing a fun challenge no matter your experience with bullet hell shooters!
  • 4 stages with memorable, multi-phase boss battles!
  • Switch between multicolored bullets that are easier to distinguish or flashy synchronized bullets!
  • Has modern shooter mechanics like focus mode, bombs and enemy bullet cancelling!
  • The Friend Bomb system gives a tactical dimension: are you prepared to lose firepower in exchange for clearing the screen of bullets?
  • Amazing metal soundtrack written by Pip Malt!
  • No need to plop quarters into an arcade machine anymore!
  • I've run out of cool things to put on this list!
Download Links
Game page on Itchio

Screenshots

A Great Legacy
Road Warriors 2 has been in development since 2012, most of which has been unintentional hiatus after source files were corrupted. The files finally restored using modern technology, Road Warriors 2 has been finished, virtually unchanged from its original artistic vision!

As a sequel to the first game I ever made, and as the first game I made in GM8.1, the first "proper" version of Game Maker, Road Warriors 2 is a project that means a lot to me personally. Finally being able to complete it feels like finally putting the bookends to my period as a noob developer.

T

Tirous

Another game? Didnt you already release one? ... god damnit yal, i cant keep up anymore. :(

In all seriousness tho, i like the game... i suck at it... but i like it ;)

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Another game? Didnt you already release one?
Yeah, but this one was half-finished already, so I only had to make half the work of making a full game :p I'd released this much earlier, it just was that issue with the GM81 file getting corrupted preventing me from working at it for ages. (To be precise, it was possible to edit it, but the game would crash with an 'illegal maths operation' error as soon as the first room loaded... when loading it into Studio, that got solved somehow)

N

Nexusrex

Yare Yare Daze~
A classic shump made by one of my fav old-mods/GMC elders?
Aaaaah, downloading. (Gotta be edited after trying it)

Okay, after trying it, here is what i think:

-Fast paced gameplay, mate. This is fast and hard. Or maybe i suck at it. But nice shump work.
-Bombs..They are slow to explode, i did expect that it will stay in place. But, actually. It's right..Because, we are on a road! (Also, to make gameplay better)
-Bosses, *Mettaton's voice* Ooooh yeeees~ It's great! I didn't even pass the second level. But, the first boss was really nice and challenging!
-Game over screen. Make it faster or make a button to end it. I did take some time thinking about what can i do.

It's overall good!

Last edited:
B

Blakkid489

Dammit Yal. . you and your bullet hell games XD Expect a lets Play from me.

Reactions: Yal

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
I don't normally play these "bullet hell" games because I suck at them. So I lose within 3 seconds. But this one has an "Easy" setting, so figured I'd try it. I lasted about 6 seconds the first time. But hey, that's an improvement.

After a few (OK, many) attempts, I'm getting better. I've got a better strategy to avoid bullets and pick up bonus/health points. I can typically last about 10-15 seconds in the Easy mode, and I typically scored about 40,000 points. Although on one round I lasted a long time and scored about 90,000. Not sure if that's a good score or not.

The main issue is that after the first few waves of bullets, they start coming in a solid wall. How do I avoid these? It seems impossible. I tried a tactic where I "hide" off the road... but the enemies usually find me.

Graphically, this looks great. Although to be honest, it would look better on a smaller screen. On my wide screen, it seems a bit too pixelated. But still looks very nice. And I love the level of detail here. Helicopter blades spin, nice shadows for a sense of depth, and great colors. Very nice job on the art work and animation.

The sounds are really dynamic too. The pounding music has a sort of Mission Impossible theme to it. And the laser and gun shots sounds great.

Overall, this seems very polished and complete. The intro screen is appealing. The controls and explained up front. And there are different settings and difficulty options to choose from. Great game -- I definitely recommend it.

B

Blakkid489

Probably not a "lets play" because as experienced on my youtube channel, my "lets play" videos suck lol But I will put a review up like your other game Kirbyvania I reivewed about 2 years ago I think XD

B

Blakkid489

Alright here go Yal. I remember you mentioned my cursing was a bit much in my last review I did for you so this I went ahead and censored the video. Enjoy

W

warbo

I got past the first little boss on easy, wow my eyes hurt right now. lol.

Zerb Games

Too hard and no save option.
How comprehensive.... I would agree though it is quite hard, and the fact that's there's no save option for a lack of a better word is disappointing, but it was probably an intentional design decision. It's definitely not the first bullet hell to not include one.I don't know to be honest though.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Yeah, the game is so short (3 "full length" stages, 4 bosses) than including a save option would make it too easy to complete. And I'm doing my best to mimic a coin-operated arcade game as well with the pretty sidebar graphics, the overall gameplay design, and the incomprehensibly complex score multiplier mechanics.

I guess my favorite feature is speeding up the gameplay timeline when there's no on-screen enemies. Before I added that, you could create safe time gaps if you knew where an enemy would spawn and use that to kill it faster than expected. Now the next enemy just instantly appear instead. Makes the combo part of the score multiplier easier to maintain, too.

Zerb Games

Yeah, the game is so short (3 "full length" stages, 4 bosses) than including a save option would make it too easy to complete. And I'm doing my best to mimic a coin-operated arcade game as well with the pretty sidebar graphics, the overall gameplay design, and the incomprehensibly complex score multiplier mechanics.

I guess my favorite feature is speeding up the gameplay timeline when there's no on-screen enemies. Before I added that, you could create safe time gaps if you knew where an enemy would spawn and use that to kill it faster than expected. Now the next enemy just instantly appear instead. Makes the combo part of the score multiplier easier to maintain, too.
Hadn't played much so didn't realize it was short... Woulda played more though :p

M

MishMash

Bah! Another Street Racing re-upload with a few sprites swapped out, a few bullet hell mechanics added and a mighty fine bit o' polish, I expected better from you D:!

Though in seriousness, neat game, just spent the last 30 minutes trying not to suck :)

C

ConsolCWBY

Yal, don't listen to them, it isn't so bad. Played first on easy and then on the highest. Seems okay to me. (I think you've got dev easy mode on - what's easy for the dev is hard for everyone else. But I got used to it pretty quick, so maybe we're both just... twitchy! lol)
Really cool game! Thanks! :)

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Bah! Another Street Racing re-upload with a few sprites swapped out, a few bullet hell mechanics added and a mighty fine bit o' polish, I expected better from you D:!

Though in seriousness, neat game, just spent the last 30 minutes trying not to suck :)
Lol, I actually got similar criticism for the first game... which actually also just like this game was made from scratch. I'm well beyond repackaging tutorial files, though :p I do remember editing that example game, though... adding in Mariokart item boxes that gave you shell ammo, letting you destroy other cars. I probably still have the source file on my old Win7 computer in case you're interested to see some of my early works (and if you are, you should see a doctor about your mental state, lol x3)

And it's kinda hard to tell when a danmaku is easy or hard, it's a pretty polarizing genre. The engine also uses a special system for different difficulties that's not very flexible... not sure I'd made it the same way today, and since I just wanted to wrap up an old finished project of mine I didn't want to make any huge overhauls.

M

MishMash

Lol, I actually got similar criticism for the first game... which actually also just like this game was made from scratch. I'm well beyond repackaging tutorial files, though :p I do remember editing that example game, though... adding in Mariokart item boxes that gave you shell ammo, letting you destroy other cars. I probably still have the source file on my old Win7 computer in case you're interested to see some of my early works (and if you are, you should see a doctor about your mental state, lol x3)

And it's kinda hard to tell when a danmaku is easy or hard, it's a pretty polarizing genre. The engine also uses a special system for different difficulties that's not very flexible... not sure I'd made it the same way today, and since I just wanted to wrap up an old finished project of mine I didn't want to make any huge overhauls.
Ahh haha, just to be clear, I was only joking about that :p On a more serious note, I liked the games atmosphere, though I did find it a little too difficult. Though in fairness, I haven't really played many bullet hell games. It's one of those genre's I'm not a huge fan of as I find alot of death in them is just cheese. I do like the polar opposite ones like upgrade complete where you can just become overpowered. They aren't well designed at all, they are just grinding for an easy win, but they are very good time filler games.

So yeah, take my comment as a pinch of salt, I imagine its probably fine :)

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Ahh haha, just to be clear, I was only joking about that :p On a more serious note, I liked the games atmosphere, though I did find it a little too difficult. Though in fairness, I haven't really played many bullet hell games. It's one of those genre's I'm not a huge fan of as I find alot of death in them is just cheese. I do like the polar opposite ones like upgrade complete where you can just become overpowered. They aren't well designed at all, they are just grinding for an easy win, but they are very good time filler games.

So yeah, take my comment as a pinch of salt, I imagine its probably fine :)
Yeah, it was clear enough you were joking, so I'll let you get away with it this time :p

And about danmaku games, there's a pretty huge spread between good and bad ones - just spamming bullets makes a danmaku, but not necessarily a good one. Good ones makes you feel awesome even if you aren't good enough to play them 'for real', and the best ones even make bad players able to get through unscathed but forced to break score multipliers and stuff so that their ranking gets lower. I totally recommend getting Bullet Heaven 2 in case you want to get more danmaku-savvy, it's very beginner-friendly due to its unlockable-cheats-and-handicaps system and how it's based around short stages you can clear in 1-2 minutes, but once you start unlocking hidden bosses and anti-cheats, you can very easily turn it up to a very difficult experience. (I haven't even cleared all stages on the middle difficulty yet, and not even beaten the FIRST stage on the hardest...) It also has co-op for up to four players, so it's pretty fun to play with friends as well.