Demo Rising Lords : Medieval Turnbased Strategy Game (Multiplayer/Singleplayer)

Hi everyone :)

we have been working on Rising Lords for years already, time to give you people the chance to have a look and hopefully have fun with it! For us of course the chance to get valuable feedback and bug/crash reports.

Here is a current demo:
http://bit.ly/RisingLords
(see below the last picture for instructions)

Latest Trailer:

Rising Lords is a medieval turn-based strategy game with card and board game elements. Send your serfs to fight and die in your name... or let them prosper, and use them to your advantage!

image9 (1024x576).jpg

Collect taxes and resources. Dictate rations and field work. Forge weapons, reshape the battlefield, raise armies, and build mighty fortified cities. Help your people become knights, or dump them on a battlefield far away, but be careful: even the most humble peasants will revolt eventually…

image8 (1024x578).jpg

In addition to its campaign mode, Rising Lords features robust multiplayer functionality. Play a quick game, or settle in for an evening or more. Play mind games with your friends with Rising Lords’ advanced social interactivity, and let them pay for their insolence in questioning your right to rule!

image1 (1024x578).jpg

Features
Find the perfect balance - juggle production, resource gathering, diplomacy and treason, tax and rations - all vital in the success of your provinces
Strategic battles - besiege your enemy’s cities to starve them out, go all-out attack, or wait for them to come to you
Up to 4-player simultaneous multiplayer - no need to wait for each individual player to take their turn
The psychology of war - Play mind games with your opponents with advanced social interactions
Subtle variables - Morale, terrain and fortifications have a huge impact on battle, and the tide can turn quickly
Customisation - Tailor your leader’s look and skills, and craft your perfect cities and troops
Risks and opportunities - React to figures that visit your province. Find ways to take advantage, and work quickly to eliminate threats!
Take your pick - React to many different events and collect unique cards to surprise your enemy! 
image11.jpg

Currently, Battles and 3 Scenarios are available to play against AI or other players.
We reccomend to start with a quick battle or go right to scearios via singleplayer -> scenarios.

In battles you can try different troop types, skill cards and terrains, while in scnearios you also manage your counties, decide on rations, tax and fieldwork, build cities and castles, forge weapons, raise armies and conquer the land with the battle mechanics.

image13.jpg

● you can change the map and start settings by clicking on it. I'd recommend to start with the small map (1) and maybe later try southwest aubelin.
● the prototype AIs can be dangerous and can be changed by clicking on the text below the player avatar.
● make sure that you put at least half your peasants on the fields at the beginning and decide on what you want to breed/plant.
● left click on peasants to pick them up, right click to place them.
● decide on rations and tax. You can decide what your people should eat by pressing on the food buttons.
● only butcher your animals in dire times or when you have very few people. otherwise, it is better breed them and produce dairy and wool.
● Watch yout happiness, it is the Number below the female face.
● Once your population grows, you need to build buildings to avoid beggars.
● a smith will allow you to produce weapons.
● eventually you will want to create an army by pressing on the muster button right of the main GUI.
● to change cards for the general, right click an army and left click on the card symbol.

feel free to explore the current functionality and please report any crash or freeze. (bugs we have plenty anyway)
Also note that any battle involving more that 2 players is currently automatically calculated.
If you want to save in multiplayer, both players need to do so.

if you can't figure something out that is also very valuable feedback for us.

-expect major bugs and crashes-

thank you for your help and cheers!

Last edited:

Morendral

I like the game so far, it's a nice take on the tbs genre. The learning curve is steeper than i thought it would be, but that's not a bad thing. I would include a tutorial, even in this beta version though.

The graphics are good, and i got a kick out of the expression on the peasants faces when you pick them up. Great work so far and I'm excited to see where it goes.

Last edited:
Thanks @Morendral for your post! glad you liked the peasant :D
I assume you mean a steep learning courve? Sorry for asking.
For the next official alpha phase we will create a tutorial or video on the basics. We are also working on an enzyclopedia so that you can check out all the details, especially in combat there are a lot of things to learn about cards, morale, troop types, terrain and so on.
The real fun is playing on a bigger map with a friend! gameplay on the strategy map is simultaneos and you can jump in for the AI in battles to fight each other.

I am really interested in where you had or still have problems understanding the mechanics, so that we can make that more clear and/or include it in a future tutorial/video.
Thanks and Cheers!

Morendral

Thanks @Morendral for your post! glad you liked the peasant :D
I assume you mean a steep learning courve? Sorry for asking.
For the next official alpha phase we will create a tutorial or video on the basics. We are also working on an enzyclopedia so that you can check out all the details, especially in combat there are a lot of things to learn about cards, morale, troop types, terrain and so on.
The real fun is playing on a bigger map with a friend! gameplay on the strategy map is simultaneos and you can jump in for the AI in battles to fight each other.

I am really interested in where you had or still have problems understanding the mechanics, so that we can make that more clear and/or include it in a future tutorial/video.
Thanks and Cheers!
I did, I mostly browse on mobile before bed so sometimes it doesn't always get corrected!

I guess it was just that there wasn't a lot of visual feedback as to what your actions did. Like, tell me the consequences of putting peasants in different places. A lot of games will show a tooltip or something that has positive and negative numbers that indicate what will happen from an action.

there are some basic tooltips on many of the objects and gui elements. they pop up after hovering over something for a few seconds. would that be the place where you expect that kind of information? or something more immediate or specific?