• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Asset - Project Rhythm Game Template - a.k.a. Stepmania

dudaxan

Rhythm Game Template

This template requires GMS 2.3 to work properly.

Have you ever wondered how those rhythm-based games work and dreamed of creating one yourself? You can now create your own game of this genre, almost efortlessly, by using this template.

Features:
- Both internal audio resource and external .ogg files supported
- Custom "recording room", for mapping your own inputs, to your own songs
- Gameplay room, with 3d camera projection for the arrows
- Custom file save/load systems, with buffers
- Automatic song-score calculation
- Song distortion when the player score gets too low
- Song skipping, after the last note has been pressed
Due to GMS limitations, only *.ogg files are supported as external files

You can find an extensive guide on how this asset works on the .pdf file included (at the Included Files section).

As a bonus for purchasing this template, you get non-exclusive rights to use the “Epic Song” track on any of your projects, royalty free.
These are the limitations to this license:
1. You cannot resell or redistribute the sound file as an asset or within a pack of assets.
2. You cannot claim that you did it yourself.
"Epic Song" is the track used for demonstration purposes on the overview video
At least an intermediate knowledge on GameMaker is recommended before purchasing this template.

Marketplace link:
https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/9375/rhythm-game-template-gms-2-3

I hope you like it!

Last edited:

SVertayo

Sorry! Here you go (I’ll update on the main post as well):
https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/9375/rhythm-game-template-gms-2-3

Any version after 2.3 should work properly! If you have the latest version of GMS2, you should have no issue working with the template.
alr, FINAL QUESTION. should it allow me to be able to make (I'ma copypaste the written text that i posted on ma discord) " i have a new game ideer. A rythem game, inspired by Guitar Hero Aerosmith and Guitar Rock Tour, it will have custom character creation, custom band mate creation, a full ass story mode, with a few custom songs, the ability to learn new songs via practice, possible custom vocals for song, roles availible will be, Guitar, Base Guitar, Drums, and Vocals, thinking for vocal players they will need to actually sing the song, Band mates will be able to be leveled up so they play better, LV 1 Guitarist for example will miss 75% of the time, may also add music battles and maybe in the far future Online Co-Op "
The only things that i truly need is that is it possible that say if ya miss a note once example your playing the guitar in the game and ya miss a note that only the guitar for that note would go away? or would i need to somehow get ALL the insturments for them and have them all play individually?

dudaxan

alr, FINAL QUESTION. should it allow me to be able to make (I'ma copypaste the written text that i posted on ma discord) " i have a new game ideer. A rythem game, inspired by Guitar Hero Aerosmith and Guitar Rock Tour, it will have custom character creation, custom band mate creation, a full ass story mode, with a few custom songs, the ability to learn new songs via practice, possible custom vocals for song, roles availible will be, Guitar, Base Guitar, Drums, and Vocals, thinking for vocal players they will need to actually sing the song, Band mates will be able to be leveled up so they play better, LV 1 Guitarist for example will miss 75% of the time, may also add music battles and maybe in the far future Online Co-Op "
The only things that i truly need is that is it possible that say if ya miss a note once example your playing the guitar in the game and ya miss a note that only the guitar for that note would go away? or would i need to somehow get ALL the insturments for them and have them all play individually?
The template will show you how to create a basic guitar hero like game, but it will not have all the features you need out of the box... It will require some work in order to implement the other instruments.

SVertayo

The template will show you how to create a basic guitar hero like game, but it will not have all the features you need out of the box... It will require some work in order to implement the other instruments.
Alr i kinda saw that bit comin' lol.
Do i need to get the base instrument for each part in order for it to work as planned?

dudaxan

Alr i kinda saw that bit comin' lol.
Do i need to get the base instrument for each part in order for it to work as planned?
The template version works with a single track. To have multiple instruments, you need to create/load more tracks at once and properly display them on the screen. Each track should be one instrument, if you need them to work separately.

SVertayo

The template version works with a single track. To have multiple instruments, you need to create/load more tracks at once and properly display them on the screen. Each track should be one instrument, if you need them to work separately.
just one question....how would i do such a thing?
That and why won't my custom song work when imported? i got the arrows and everything set up.
I also got the files in the songs folderimage_2022-06-29_190515657.png
Whenever i select the song in the song player it skips everything and just goes straight to the "Completed".
What do i do?

Last edited:

dudaxan

Try removing the "-" from the file name to see if it works. If it doesn't, please contact me on discord (arcticmm#3856).