Rexx Stone: Doomlike 3D FPS

IGameArt

Take control of Sergeant Rexx Stone as he blazes through hordes of aliens hell bent on the total annihilation of The Milky Way galaxy!

A dash of Doom, with a pinch of Duke Nukem, a light sprinkling of Blake Stone, and baked at 420 degrees for 66 hours and 6 minutes while Kung Fury plays on loop, Rexx Stone is everything that I've wanted in a video game, and you will too! Ripe with bright, vibrant pixelated textures and hand drawn pixel sprites, Rexx Stone tickles your nostalgia gland right in the sweet spot!

Hand built levels that rearrange themselves with each play through mean that you get a unique gameplay experience every time you play through the campaign without procedural generation woes, like that one room you swear you've been through like 13 times prior in that one other game.

Taking inspiration from games like Doom, Duke Nukem, Quake, Chasm: The Rift, Retro Blazer, and more means that Rexx Stone isn't afraid to explode some heads and redecorate the walls with equal amounts of evil robot lubricant and alien guts, thanks to a robust, real-time, sprite based, fully destructible gore system! HOORAY!

Feel free to subscribe to this thread, or follow my GameJolt page for future updates. GameJolt page may be more frequently updated.

Last edited:

IGameArt

Thanks for the kind words everyone, I hope to have a trailer ready by the end of next week! I'm going to start a small scale funding campaign for the project this afternoon, probably something like patreon, and a paypal donate button on the GameJolt page :p

EDIT: Some art

Last edited:

Neptune

What do you use to create assets like these, or what combination of softwares? (I dont know much about 3D modeling).

Last edited:

IGameArt

@Vether: I use mostly gimp to create the pixel art, and to construct the 3d shapes, I use Blender with the Sprytile addon ;)

Here's some art I'd love an opinion on. With or without facial hair? And what do you think of the color?

This is still very much wip, the body isn't even final, I just found something to use as a base to work off of. XP

Last edited:
I

immortalx

With facial hair for sure! Left one too green and dark. Right one too subtle. Maybe a mix between the two, just my 0.02 €

IGameArt

The entire plot is one big Easter Egg fest! Lmao I plan to have a demo out sometime in the next couple of weeks. There's a lot of work to do, and i'm torn between this project and Starr Mazer DSP, neither of which are paying me currently

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I like the one on the left the most. It has a lot more character, imho... although all three are excellent. Why not give the player the option to choose? Some minor customisation like that is always welcome in a game. :)

Geoff Jones

The full beard for sure... With a name like Rex Stone, he needs to have a manly beard.
The middle one looks like he is about to light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.

Either way, kick ass pixel art!

IGameArt

Really digging all the support guys! Made some progress, I have a few facial hair options to go with and have begun conceptualizing the Space Police Suit that Rexx wears:

The arms and pants/belt are placeholder, and everything is subject to change at any point, especially if this project gets the funding it needs to complete. If you guys want to see this progress, feel free to buy me a sammich or caffeine! Lmao

EDIT: Improved beard, improved suit to further resemble a police uniform:

Last edited:
M

markfe

Cool, looks like a perfect mix of doom 1 and the old street fighter.

IGameArt

Thanks a million Vether! That really means a lot. I think there's a lot of potential here, and heck knows I need hit, I've taken a really big financial loss in my dayjob. Let's just say the company I was working for literally doesn't have any money left to pay off it's employees. Scraping by really hard this month. I could really use a hit. Lol

Speaking of hits, hit this! Better shades, improved scars, elongated torso. Legs aren't in the right spot yet so he looks a little squat.

Last edited:

Joe Ellis

Take control of Sergeant Rexx Stone as he blazes through hordes of aliens hell bent on the total annihilation of The Milky Way galaxy!

A dash of Doom, with a pinch of Duke Nukem, a light sprinkling of Blake Stone, and baked at 420 degrees for 66 hours and 6 minutes while Kung Fury plays on loop, Rexx Stone is everything that I've wanted in a video game, and you will too! Ripe with bright, vibrant pixelated textures and hand drawn pixel sprites, Rexx Stone tickles your nostalgia gland right in the sweet spot!

Hand built levels that rearrange themselves with each play through mean that you get a unique gameplay experience every time you play through the campaign without procedural generation woes, like that one room you swear you've been through like 13 times prior in that one other game.

Taking inspiration from games like Doom, Duke Nukem, Quake, Chasm: The Rift, Retro Blazer, and more means that Rexx Stone isn't afraid to explode some heads and redecorate the walls with equal amounts of evil robot lubricant and alien guts, thanks to a robust, real-time, sprite based, fully destructible gore system! HOORAY!

Feel free to subscribe to this thread, or follow my GameJolt page for future updates. GameJolt page may be more frequently updated.
Woahhh! It looks cool as ****!

My admirement should be consiled by the amount of time it took me to find characters that would pass the swear filter

Plus Doom, Duke Nukem, Quake have filled alot of my life, Quake I still play daily

MOD EDIT: Please do NOT try to bypass the swear filters, otherwise you could find your account restricted. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

sp202

This is looking great, hoping for a demo or gameplay footage soon. Are you planning on adding lighting? Screenshots are a bit flat at the moment, shading would make environments more readable.

IGameArt

I hope to get some footage out in the next week, as far as lighting goes, I'm actually planning to have a combination of baked lighting and dynamic, as well as some spiffy surface shaders.

T

Taylor458

I want to walk around that level so badly! Even if there's nothing to shoot yet. Love the bright colors, and pixely texture. Looking forward to the trailer, or even just a panoramic shot of one of the rooms. Got this saved to my favorites.

lolslayer

This looks amazing!

The newest picture suggests Ambient Occlusion, what have you done there? Is that an in-game picture or a render?

IGameArt

It's an effect that blender has in it natively, it helps me navigate the level easier, but I do intend to implement the effect in the game at some point. Until that point, I'll rely heavily on lightmaps XP

TheSnidr

Heavy metal viking dentist
GMC Elder
This looks so incredible, holy hell. How are you funding it? Can't see any crowdfunding links in the first post!
Are you a team making this or is it just you?

Can't wait for a demo o.o

IGameArt

It's all just me for right now. There's no kickstarter campaign just yet. Since I'm doing this all on my own, I have to create enough assets to show off in a kickstarter video if I want it to succeed. So that's what I'm doing, creating a bunch of pretty assets, fleshing out the story, marketting it online through social media and indie game groups. I hope to have some sort of video worth showing off in under a week.

I'm really digging the support from everyone so far. I have some pretty great plans for this, and I can't wait to show everyone where this goes.

EDIT: Adding screenies to my post:

Last edited:

IGameArt

I have some sort of gameplay, but nothing notable just yet, once I have a few of these assets finished I'll be able to show off something cool.