Android Revisiting my first project: Orbit Zero

Niels

Hi everyone,

Explanation below:
We all have those first projects that started out as "let's make something simple to get our feet wet", and during development ballooned out to "Epic sci-fi open world rpg with tactical elements, relationship building and 100 man raids on epic bosses" which of course can never be realised :)

My project was a fairly simple SHMUP called orbit zero that I kept added stuff to while I was still learning the bare basics of gamemaking/coding.So I ended up ditching the whole project.

Lately I stumbled on a old build on my phone and found out that I find the basic gameplay pretty fun and challenging. So I have the idea to rebuild it with the knowledge I have now.
---------------------------------------------
So I present:

Orbit Zero!
Genre: non bullet hell SHMUP
Platform: android.
Controls: tap or hold left side of screen to go left, right side to go right
Tap on player ship to shoot secondary weapon(currently only basic missiles)

Yellow meter = health (pick up yellow energy cores from enemies to replenish health)
Blue meter = energy, boosting it beyond a full meter will overdrive your weaponsystem and upgrade your weapons.

When you die, you can use your earned points as currency to upgrade your energy level or fire rating.

(In level menu click on the right lower button to start the game)

Bottom line:
Basically I'm looking for some feedback from someone willing to play to the first boss:)
Link to APK:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xbvfqwv62w8gfmx/Orbit Zero.apk?dl=0

Screenshots:

Last edited:

Niels

I think you would do better releasing a windows build
Yeah true, thing is that mobile phone screens are so much better fit for vertical SHMUP's:)
A well I kinda wanted to see if there was interest in the project before I would spend more time on it, and I think I have my answer ;)

T

tiny547

Keep going at it and go for mobile like you are, don't stop now. If you decide you want to do PC later, then consider it at that time once it's released.
It looks good :)

Morendral

Yeah true, thing is that mobile phone screens are so much better fit for vertical SHMUP's:)
A well I kinda wanted to see if there was interest in the project before I would spend more time on it, and I think I have my answer ;)
Sorry, let me clarify. I didnt mean that you should consider chaning the target platform for release, rather just release a test version as a single executable. I think you would get many people who would respond to that rather than having to install a non-play store apk on their mobile device. Its about how much trouble it can be for your target audience, in this case the gmc, and what they are willing to do. Most people dont want that hassle.