• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker Returning array from script

Neverday

I vaguely recall some functions returning an array, but it doesn't seem to work for me.

Say you have a script that fills a local array with values, is it possible to return the array and end up with something like this?

Code:
///script_array()
var array
array[0] = 10
array[1] = 11
array[2] = 12

return array
and then in an object

Code:
var a = script_array()

xx = a[0]
yy = a[1]
zz = a[2]

S

Sami

edit: oops didn't realise this was gms2 ... at least in gms1.4 this should work

I believe your problem lies somewhere else, that's exactly how it should work.

For example, i use this script to assign arrays in c:ish style ( arr = array(val1,val2,val3,val4,....); )

Code:
///array(value1,value2,...,...)
var ac = argument_count;
returnArray[ac]=0;

for (var i=0;i<ac;i++) {
    returnArray[@i]=argument[i];
}

return returnArray;

Last edited by a moderator:

Neverday

Yeah, it seems to be something with my script. It does work when I reduce it to a basic example. Welp, /thread I suppose.

M

Malkiq

The thing is that you have to use an accessor -> @ for arrays.
Atleast this is how I do it, and this is how Sami has done it in his example.
Even if he doesn't return the array,he'll still have the changes added to the array.
I'm not sure if this is completely correct but I think that this makes you access the global scope,and not work in the script local scope.
I'm new to the forum and I cannot post links right now,but just look for accessors in the gamemaker docs.