• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Asset - Shaders RetroFexx - Shader Suite, Links Fixed!

IGameArt

Featuring Shaders:

• RFX_coldepth_shd - Limit the color depth in the scene by any value. Higher numbers = more colors.
  • RFX_palswap_shd - Swap out the palette to any of your choosing, any number of colors up to 4096!
Customize the dither of both shaders with a 128x128 texture and a dither spread value. HINT Play around with the dither spread value, keeping it too low will make everything grainy and keeping it high will make color transitions much sharper!
To use:

• Create a dither texture: dtex=sprite_get_texture(RFXbayerdith_spr,0);
  • Init the RFX system: RFX_init( pixel scale, dtex, dither spread ( try 64 or 32 ) );
  • Pick a shader:
  • For Color Depth Shader:
    RFX_set_coldepth( real );
  • For Palette Shader:
    RFX_set_palswap( Palette Texture );
  • Draw anything as you would normally, then in draw gui event: RFX_apply();
HINT This shader suite relies on the use of the application surface. To draw any gui items to be affected by this shader, you must draw them directly to the application surface with surface_set_target(application_surface)
HINT 2
Make sure that the texture your using for your palette hasn't been properly set using sprite_get_texture or background_get_texture, and that your palette looks the same as the ones included, RFXpalettes_spr. Also be sure the use for 3D check box checked on your palette. The texture generated using sprite/background_get_texture must be used as an argument for RFX_set_palswap.

Click the banner above or visit the Marketplace here: MarketPlace/RetroFexx

Playable Demo

Last edited:

IGameArt

Sorry I've put to much work into it to make it free, but I have just updated the asset making it easier to understand, I've changed the palette swapping shader so it actually works now!

And I've updated the asset with a new low price of only $1.99!

Zerb Games

Sorry I've put to much work into it to make it free, but I have just updated the asset making it easier to understand, I've changed the palette swapping shader so it actually works now!

And I've updated the asset with a new low price of only $1.99!
I was actually just looking to buy this! Very cool that you responded on Tuesday. The demo that you linked too is still broken though.

IGameArt

Hey fellas! Sorry for the long delay on fixing this thing. It's been a very... interesting year for me. Anyhow, I figured I'd come back this way and see how things are, saw that this was still broken and went ahead and fixed all the links. Turns out it's because dropbox removed that whole public folder support thing.

Zerb Games

Hey fellas! Sorry for the long delay on fixing this thing. It's been a very... interesting year for me. Anyhow, I figured I'd come back this way and see how things are, saw that this was still broken and went ahead and fixed all the links. Turns out it's because dropbox removed that whole public folder support thing.
It's been a few years, looks great! Can't figure out how to port it to GMS2 though hahaha.

IGameArt

I'm working on an improved integration for this that works with GMS2, but it's taking time since I'm currently working full time on a video game soon to release, which also features this asset.