Question - IDE Resource Window

Discussion in 'GameMaker Studio 2 Community Tech Support' started by dTex, Feb 7, 2019.

1. dTex

dTex Member

How to drag up and down rooms in the Resource Window WITHOUT having a popup message asking if we want the room to inherit from a parent. Just trying to make a specific room 1st on the list per GM instructions as it is the first room called by default. Ninety percent I get the popup and I say cancel. Once in awhile, I can actually just move it up the list. I'm not trying to get into inheritance just move the room to the top of the list. It is from GML SpaceRocks at 4:06 on Part 4. Just not seeing which key combinations to use or with a mouse. Thanks!

2. SnortySnoopy

SnortySnoopy Member

When you drag a room up or down the order, take notice of the different shadings of the highlighted room you're dragging using your mouse, the highlighted room will show 3 distinct shadings; full, top, and/or bottom depending on your dragging position. Also the green tick and red cross is another hint about if it maybe position at that spot or not.

dTex likes this.
  3. dTex

dTex Member

OK I will try. Late last night I noticed if I hold left mouse button and drag the square icon exactly on top of the room above icon -- I don't get the question about inheritance. But I almost have to be exact. I always see the green tick and red cross. What does full, top and/or bottom mean? I'm leaving today and won't get a chance to test till tonight. Thanks!

4. SnortySnoopy

SnortySnoopy Member

When you're dragging your "ROOM" in RESOURCES, take notice of the highlighted room which you're dragging up or down the order. You'll notice that the highlighted room will show a brighter top side if you may place above another room, or brighter bottom side if you can place below another room, when fully highlighted while hovering above another room will result to what you experienced in your post about being asked if you want to make the highlighted room being dragged as an inheritance of the room you're hovering on top of.

dTex likes this.
  5. dTex

dTex Member

THANK YOU, THANK YOU - it worked! I'm an old programmer and haven't coded in 15 years and definitely not games. I search the docs, watch tons of videos and even purchased some Udemy courses. How do you find out this odd stuff? I also think I want to go deeper with understanding the functions with GML. I guess I should purchase a book.

6. SnortySnoopy

SnortySnoopy Member

:) You're very welcome. Well compare to me, you've far more experience, I only recently started programming. I'd suggest reading from : https://docs2.yoyogames.com/index.html since you've programming experience, it should more than suffice for someone at your skill level. GMS also provides a compilation of useful links if you check out the 'HELP' tab through your IDE should you feel the need to familiarize with the basics.

Good luck. I guess this topic has fulfilled its purpose and problem solved. :)

dTex likes this.