• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Resource name limit [Sugeestion]

Azenris

Is there any reason the resource tree has a name limit. Is it possible to increase it ? maybe to 255.

spr_interior_wooden_frame_window_light_beam_emissive

:(

I didnt want to abbreviate everything, I know its kinda descriptive, but it helps me understand what it is.

Sry if wrong forum :]

curato

I feel your pain. I hate when I see code vx vv qq or what ever and you have to really look to see what they are talking about. You should be able to look at code using everything at you disposal variable name, indentations, comments etc to enhance the readability. I know there has to be a limit to everything. I try to avoid making them too long because then you hurt your ability to see all the coded in those little windows. I would suggest using capitalization instead of underscores to save you some room. so spr_interior_wooden_frame_window_light_beam_emissive becomes spr_InteriorWoodenFrameWindowLightBeamEmissive. Anyways that is what I do.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
The limit is likely caused by the 255-character path length limit on Windows, where a file/directory named the way you did (combined with the path to the project itself) would go over it. You can delay the issue by storing the project closer to the root of the drive and shortening the project's file name, but in the long run, you may have to use the Mac version to avoid the issue altogether.

GMWolf

aka fel666
The limit is likely caused by the 255-character path length limit on Windows, where a file/directory named the way you did (combined with the path to the project itself) would go over it. You can delay the issue by storing the project closer to the root of the drive and shortening the project's file name, but in the long run, you may have to use the Mac version to avoid the issue altogether.
I've run I to this issue quite a bit outside of GM.
Luckily there is a way to increase the windows limit (I don't quite remember it but a bit of googling should get you the answer).
Windows is great...