• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE [RESOLVED] Transparency problems on latest update

nesrocks

Screenshot_13.png Screenshot_14.png

So, the left image is the editor (and how it looked before the update, minor the grid) and the right one is how it looks now when the game is executed.
Those are tiles from a tileset based on an imported png. Here is a section of it:

Screenshot_15.png

What can be causing this?

edit: it seems that now doing this causes that problem
Code:
gpu_set_blendenable(false);
It wasn't causing the bug before. Well, solved, soft of... But at the cost of performance.

Also, instead of removing the blend disable line, if I set the alpha test to true with test ref to 0.0 instead of setting alpha test to false it will also work now.

Code:
gpu_set_alphatestref(0.0);
I feel like this will hurt the game's performance though, as I need to either turn on blend or alpha test...

Last edited:

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Please file a bug so we can work out what is going on as nothing should have changed with this behaviour

Russell

nesrocks

After testing I don't see a performance difference when enabling or disabling either or both features (gpu alpha test and gpu blendenable) on either new or older update. The only difference is that on the previous version it was displaying transparent graphics with both settings disabled.

After creating a new project with nothing but a background image and an object with transparency and disabling gpu_blend the problem already occurs.

On 2.0.6.96:
Screenshot_21.png
On 2.0.7.110:
Screenshot_22.png

This is all the code present on the project (run once at room creation):
Code:
gpu_set_blendenable(false);

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
but you are disabling blending completely with that line so the 2.0.7 results are correct....

you would need to enable alpha test as well with a suitable reference value to get what you are after...

looks to me that 2.0.7 has fixed a bug if gpu_set_blendenable(false) was giving you the sprites being rendered with blending on...

Just checked and yes we did fix a bug where blend kept getting reset each frame...

Russell

nesrocks

I didn't see anything about a change on that on the release notes, but after the tests I suspected as much. Problem solved then.