GMS 2 [Resolved] Simple question regarding normalizing input after setting gamepad deadzone

Nik

Can someone point me to a simple example of how to normalize the analog input from a gamepad thumbstick after setting the controller's deadzone? Google is being super unhelpful. :-/

Here's what I'm working with:
Code:
/// Create Event
gamepad_set_axis_deadzone(0,0.2);

/// Step Event
var hlaxis = gamepad_axis_value(0, gp_axislh);
var vlaxis = gamepad_axis_value(0, gp_axislv);
var dir = point_direction(0,0,hlaxis,vlaxis);
var vel = point_distance(0,0,hlaxis,vlaxis);
var max = 10;
/* Need to normalize vel from deadzone */
speed = clamp(vel*max,0,max);
direction = dir;
Obviously it's not great, because as soon as the stick leaves the deadzone, the player speed immediately jumps from 0 to 2+ in a single frame because 'vel' needs to be normalized in the range of 0.2 to 1.0 - how do I do this and/or what sort of math is involved?

Last edited:

NightFrost

So you're saying you want to remap 0.2 - 1.0 range to 0 - 1.0 range? Googling finds this stackoverflow question, which gives the formula:
Code:
low2 + (value - low1) * (high2 - low2) / (high1 - low1)
Where low1, high1 is your original range, low2, high2 is target range and value is what you want to remap.

Edit - also, 0.2 may be too much deadzone. Try moving right, and then just a little bit up or down at the same time. Chances are, you're still moving directly right. High deadzones kill movement angles that are close to cardinal directions.

Reactions: Nik

Nik

Thank you for this, I was using the wrong term for my search - "remap" is the correct term? I was searching with "gamepad analog deadzone normalize gms2" and half a dozen other variations of that query.

So you're saying you want to remap 0.2 - 1.0 range to 0 - 1.0 range? Googling finds this stackoverflow question, which gives the formula:
Code:
low2 + (value - low1) * (high2 - low2) / (high1 - low1)
Where low1, high1 is your original range, low2, high2 is target range and value is what you want to remap.
Yes, this is exactly what I was looking for!

Edit - also, 0.2 may be too much deadzone. Try moving right, and then just a little bit up or down at the same time. Chances are, you're still moving directly right. High deadzones kill movement angles that are close to cardinal directions.
I set it that high to prevent stick-flicking (or whatever term best describes the action of pulling the analog stick and then releasing it, causing the stick to "flick" in the other direction) - I don't have a good solution for this, but that's a topic for another thread. Again, thank you for the help! :)