• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

[RESOLVED] Possible LGPL violation?

• Thread starter Sam (Deleted User)
  • Start date
S

Sam (Deleted User)

GameMaker 4 Mac 7.5 links with the SDL 1.x framework which to my understanding is LGPL which means legally I can ask for the source code to the GM 4 mac runner that I bought is my limited understanding. So hand it over :D

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_DirectMedia_Layer

This question is half joking but half serious, if my impression correct, I feel I am entitled to make it support 64 bit with the source code.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't sound right to me.
The license allows developers and companies to use and integrate a software component released under the LGPL into their own (even proprietary) software without being required by the terms of a strong copyleft license to release the source code of their own components.
My understanding is that by using the SDL framework they do not have to release the source of the runner (which is the YYG component). But if they did modify the SDL framework code, then they would have to release the source of the SDL framework which they changed:
However, any developer who modifies an LGPL-covered component is required to make their modified version available under the same LGPL license.
That's my understanding anyway.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Thank you for the clarification. Darn it. I guess I wont be getting a 64-bit runner with features YoYo removed in studio. lel