• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

iOS [ Resolved ] No Sound on IOS

D

devonhg

Hi all! It's been a while. I've successfully put my app out onto android and I'm very happy about the release. I'm currently working on the IOS version so that apple users can use my app.

I've gone through everything detailed in the forum and I got my app running on an iPhone, however there is no sound. Sound runs on all other platforms without issue, I also played a youtube video on the device to confirm that sound is working on the phone.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how I can debug this?

Thanks!

D

devonhg

Resolved. Turns out there is a "mute" switch on the sides of the iphones that impacts whether or not the app can play sound.

Christopher

Quick question: apps like youtube can play sound even if the iphone is muted with that side switch. Is there any way in Gamemaker to control this behavior?

rIKmAN

Quick question: apps like youtube can play sound even if the iphone is muted with that side switch. Is there any way in Gamemaker to control this behavior?
Are you sure it plays sound when muted with the hardware switch and it's not just that the screen is turned off?

If it really does ignore/override the switch then that would be bad design and I'd uninstall it because it would annoy me.
When I switch to mute via hardware switch I want the device muted no matter what the apps want to try and do.

Christopher

Are you sure it plays sound when muted with the hardware switch and it's not just that the screen is turned off?

If it really does ignore/override the switch then that would be bad design and I'd uninstall it because it would annoy me.
When I switch to mute via hardware switch I want the device muted no matter what the apps want to try and do.
What do you mean by when the screen is turned off?

In the case of youtube for iOS you can watch a video in full volume and turn the iphone mute switch on and off and nothing changes, the sound will be on.
Only the standard volume buttons control the volume of the youtube video.
I guess the design idea is that the mute switch only mutes ringtones and other signal sounds, but not the media sound from youtube. Someone at google had to make this design decision.

I guess there is an option in xcode for this option somewhere.

rIKmAN

What do you mean by when the screen is turned off?

In the case of youtube for iOS you can watch a video in full volume and turn the iphone mute switch on and off and nothing changes, the sound will be on.
Only the standard volume buttons control the volume of the youtube video.
I guess the design idea is that the mute switch only mutes ringtones and other signal sounds, but not the media sound from youtube. Someone at google had to make this design decision.
I don't think people at Google are making iOS design decisions.

I just checked on my iPad and yeah you're right, it literally says "Ringer" when you toggle the switch so it's specifically for that and not sounds in general from apps etc. I never have mine muted but always thought it was a literal device-wide audio mute toggle, TIL.

I remember a while back having to download another app than the YT app to be able to have a video continue to play and allow me to listen to the audio when the device was asleep (tap power button to turn off screen), so it seemed odd to me that the mute button wouldn't mute audio but it wouldn't play even when I wanted it to previously - but yeah as it turns out it's only for toggling the ringer or rotation lock (you can change what it toggles in Settings).

Christopher

I just checked on my iPad and yeah you're right, it literally says "Ringer" when you toggle the switch so it's specifically for that and not sounds in general from apps etc. I never have mine muted but always thought it was a literal device-wide audio mute toggle, TIL.
This seems to be the initial intention, but my app - made with Gamemaker - is affected by that mute switch as well, unlike the youtube app.
So anywhere in the code must be the option that your app is affected by this switch or you categorize all your sounds as system sounds or something like that (that's what I meant that someone at google decided the apps' behavior :) ).

rIKmAN

This seems to be the initial intention, but my app - made with Gamemaker - is affected by that mute switch as well, unlike the youtube app.
So anywhere in the code must be the option that your app is affected by this switch or you categorize all your sounds as system sounds or something like that (that's what I meant that someone at google decided the apps' behavior :) ).
Ah gotcha, I misunderstood your first post then and hadn't had a coffee yet - and I was just pulling your leg with the Google comment! :)

Would be worth a ticket to support to ask, or maybe jump on an xCode/iOS coding forum/Discord/subreddit and ask around as you'd have more luck there than on here with something specific to a deep/buried xCode setting. Please update the thread if you find out one way or the other as that is pretty odd.