Mac OSX resolution size for game?

L

Lemon85

I'm new at this and I'm not sure what resolution to make the game so it can be played on the most computers without the pixels getting distorted. My computer's native resolution is 2880 x 1800. Do I have to set the rooms in the game to certain sizes to avoid the pixels not resting in perfect squares in some spots? I've been told that manually setting something about the GUI can help too.

NightFrost

If you're doing pixelart game, in general terms, you need to decide the true pixel size of your game (for example 480x270) then stretch it to screen size. You also need to decide if the size should conform to different aspect ratios, thus showing varying amounts of game field, or instead add black borders to always retain the same view aspect.

JackTurbo

For pixel art you want to scale it by an integer. This way each pixel art pixel is made up of the same number of display pixels. 3 X 3 block or what ever.

How you do this to support different resolutions and aspect ratios is up to you. I personally like to scale up by an integer that matches the target resolution or slightly exceeds it and then crop down to match. This gives perfect pixels on all displays but will mean that the pixels at the edge of the screen might be cropped off slightly by the view/camera.

However there are lots of approaches and different people have different preferred ways of scaling.

Pixelated Pope has a great rundown of it all in the tutorials section

Mert

For all platforms, I make it to 720x1280 then scale it up according to the screen size.

This will ensure that I'll get a nice looking, and reminds me that noone uses devices with screen sizes above of these.

NeoShade

For all platforms, I make it to 720x1280 then scale it up according to the screen size.

This will ensure that I'll get a nice looking, and reminds me that noone uses devices with screen sizes above of these.
Given that 1920x1080 is still a super-prevalent screen resolution, wouldn't 1280x720 be really awkward, since you'd need to multiply by 1.5?
Also, who, in 2019, isn't using a resolution higher than 720p?

tagwolf

I always design at 1920x1080. If you get close enough to releasing a game you can worry about scaling and other screen sizes then. It's not too hard to maintain aspect ratio. If it's true pixel art you might consider designing at 4:3 ratios and then offer a stretch option. It'll depend on the game. Screenshots would help!