Windows Resolution for PC games?

F

Flip_Light

I want to have both a "windowed" mode and a fullscreen mode.
Any recommendations?

I

icebox91

61.39 % of steam windows users have a 1920 x 1080 screen resolution (16:9 aspect ratio)
So you can go with:

- 960 x 540
- 640 x 360
- 480 x 270
- 384 x 216
- 320 x 180

But you will get black bars if played in other aspect ratios , so you can scale your width or height depending on the screen resolution. Watch pixelated pope's tutorials on youtube , he has an excellent series on everything related to resolution and scaling.

S

Shatter

61.39 % of steam windows users have a 1920 x 1080 screen resolution (16:9 aspect ratio)
So you can go with:

- 960 x 540
- 640 x 360
- 480 x 270
- 384 x 216
- 320 x 180

But you will get black bars if played in other aspect ratios , so you can scale your width or height depending on the screen resolution. Watch pixelated pope's tutorials on youtube , he has an excellent series on everything related to resolution and scaling.
Or disable the application surface and plan out how to make your game aspect ratio independent, which isn't that hard.

38.61% of users is a significant enough number to keep happy, I'd say.

Smiechu

If it's not a **** pixel art game than full HD 1920 x 1080 is a good base resolution.

If it's pixel art, than screen resolution is not so important as you need to choose from one of several possibilities to maintain pixel perfect scaling.

MOD EDIT: Post edited. please choose your words with more care. This is an INCLUSIVE community... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

TrunX

That's some 11th century pixel art:

Other then that in case of beautiful pixel art graphics go for a resolution that scales pixel perfect to the most common resolutions.

For other art styles it competently depends on the style and gameplay. Easiest solution is to render the game in a relatively high resolution like FullHD and shrink or stretch it while maintaining the aspect ratio. (GM does it automatically for you)
In case of a stretegy game you could render everything in it's native resolution and show more or less of the map at the same time. (With the option to zoom in and out).
Vector and 3D graphics can be rendered at any resolution without loosing details.

Last edited:

rIKmAN

No, I completely don't care. It's my personal opinion about pixel art games created in XXI century. Nothing to elaborate.
Having your own opinion on something and disliking it is fine, using offensive names to describe something others enjoy just makes you sound like a child.
Even more so when you point blank refuse to go into why you have that opinion - again much like a child would.

Probably best you keep opinions like that to yourself given that this is a GameMaker forum and the majority of users enjoy and use pixel art, or take some time to improve your vocabulary so you can have an adult conversation about the subject if it comes up again.

@Flip_Light
Someone has already mentioned it above, but check out the tutorial series by PixelatedPope on Youtube, it's a 4 part series:

F

Flip_Light

We decided on - 960 x 540 since we're doing a hack'n slash fighting game and want a lot of the sprites to be decent-sized.
Thanks for the help everyone!

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
If it's not a **** pixel art game than full HD 1920 x 1080 is a good base resolution.

If it's pixel art, than screen resolution is not so important as you need to choose from one of several possibilities to maintain pixel perfect scaling.
To be honest, going for something 1920x1080-compatible is a good idea even if you're making a **** pixel art game, and even more so if you're going for a competent pixel art game. (I'll just make the assumption you don't know what "competent" means, or you'd demonstrated it). If you go for a nonstandard resolution, you either get blurry half-pixels, or you get random letterboxing and a potential wasted screen estate of up to 25% depending on your base screen size. Neither of those are really good for making the game look appealing.

For DDG2, I'm using a base screen resolution of 640x360 (because it's evenly divisible with 1920x1080) but since the screen can zoom out in co-op mode or when fighting bosses, the normal view is actually 320x180 pixels upscaled twice (so the fully zoomed out view is integer pixels - the transition between zoomed-in and zoomed-out is fast enough that you don't see the scaling artefacts). Basically this means the pixels are super crisp at every resolution, and fullscreen mode covers the entire screen for maximal immersion.
upload_2018-5-31_21-54-43.png

I'm also doing some tricks with the GUI layer to increase fidelity to native window size, but that's kinda off-topic.