1. Hey! Guest! The 35th GMC Jam will take place between November 28th, 12:00 UTC - December 2nd, 12:00 UTC. Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Resizing Blank Object In Room

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by MaikForte, Oct 18, 2016.

1. MaikForte

MaikForte Guest

I'm a fresh user of GM and recently finished the My_First_Game tutorial.

<blank_object> = Objects without a sprite

The idea: Using a <blank_object> to use them as a controller. Basically, I want to deploy 1 <blank_object> on the left half of the screen which will act as a left button when pressed on the contrary, I would also like to put another <blank_object> on the right half of the screen which on the other hand, will act as my right button when pressed.

The problem: It seems that <blank_object> cannot be resized in a room. I can't seem to resize the object even if I adjusted the scale

2. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

Add a sprite to the object and untick the box for 'visible'

Yal likes this.
  3. DariusWolfe

DariusWolfe Member

Like rIKmAN mentions, having a simple sprite, especially for collision/position detection, with the visible variable set to 0 (or the box unticked) is what you need to do; I set a sprite for ALL objects, even if the object isn't ever going to be visible; I usually use a simple red dot as my sprite, which allows me to tell where it is in the room (for when that's relevant; Many of my invisible objects actually draw other things to the screen, just not themselves). For collision masking, I'll set it to whatever size and shape I need it to be, but it's still usually just a red rectangle.

4. MaikForte

MaikForte Guest

Great! Thanks to both of you. It does the job.