• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Request to modify WIP section and restrict to playable demos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Misty

I would like to request that only playable demos be allowed in the WIP section. It's emotionally draining to want to PuP (pickup and play a game) and then not have a demo. Its emotionally draining to constantly watch a series of minor upgrades and increments at a snails pace, periodically returning to a topic with still no demo.

There is a lot of clutter of advertising and lots of topics with no playable demos. This is filling the forum with clutter and less actual playable games.

If the point of the forum is to advertise hypothetical products, I suggest we make a subforum for pure advertising, or either remove all non-playable games entirely.

People can and will advertise their upcoming games in their signature. This, for me, seems like a valid and exciting way of getting hype, rather than advertising non-playable topics prematurely. In my opinion such a practice is emotionally draining and actually reduces hype more than it builds it. In my opinion game devs should shower us with major updates, but not drain us with tiny updates about every minor line of code alteration or minor character upgrade done behind the scenes. Advertising in signatures will encourage new users to actually participate in the community, and not just use the GMC as a one-post-wonder advertising platform to flood the WIP section with.

Last edited:

JackTurbo

Personally I'm happy to read threads in the WiP section that just contain screenshots and gifs... I find reading about people's processes really interesting.

Perhaps a compromise would be to add a demo tag so that you can see if there is a demo or not before opening the thread.

sylvain_l

like it mostly the way it is (so the idea of a tag demo, and perhaps devblog, and another promo sounds like a good addition to me) its WIP (= work in progress) section, not PDI (=playable demo included). Free to the OP to use their thread as a simple devblog, sharing what they want to get feedback (if they want feedback) or promote their work as they see fit.

and for PuP, I would say, made with gamemaker is the more accurate section :p

edit: woow, when did they add all those new tags (like demo, alpha, beta, free, gmc jam; also other to other section of the forum) <3

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
The restrictions on the old forums were a constant source of dispute and more people wanted them lifted than wanted them kept. Add to that the fact that this opens the door to developers creating dev-diary style posts (another thing that a lot of people wanted although personally not something that I saw the need for... ) and we decided to lift the restrictions on the WIP forum and we're not going to change them back for the foreseeable future.

Status
Not open for further replies.