• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion [REQUEST] Motion planning

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
As happy as I am (OR NOT :p ) with the motion planning system (there are some lacking functionalities that could added

CHANGES::

Code:
mp_grid_add_cell(id, h, v);
to
Code:
mp_grid_add_cell(id, h, v, [value]);
USAGE: the optional value could be used as cost for other motion planning functions!
(as gml uses only real/string types... this would not create that much of a memory usage... true is actually a real! I could be wrong! Let me know!) Default = -1 (unpassable)

Code:
mp_grid_clear_cell(id, h, v);
USAGE: Would set the cost value to 1.

ADDITIONS::

Code:
mp_grid_set_cell(id, h, v, [cost]);
USAGE: the optional value could be used as cost for other motion planning functions!
(as gml uses only real/string types... this would not create that much of a memory usage... true is actually a real! I could be wrong! Let me know!) Default = -1 (free).

Code:
mp_grid_path_ranged(id, path, xstart, ystart, xgoal, ygoal, allowdiag, range);
USAGE: Lets you select a range (using the cell cost) that would limit the path... return a bool... if the goal was reached or not... if it was limit by range (returns false) else (returns true)

Code:
mp_grid_range(id, xstart, ystart, allowdiag, range, [ignore]);
USAGE: Returns a 2D array (1st dimension - the number of clear cells within range; 2nd dimension - [0] cell horizontal value and [1] cell vertical value). This would let people define a starting point but no ending point. Useful for tactical grid based games. Ignore would make every free cell cost be 1 (limiting only by range).

Code:
ds_grid_to_mp_grid(source, destination);
USAGE: As default cost value is added it allows for the existence of this other function.

What do you think!!?
Sure there are some other functionalities (what would be your suggestions?)
built in A* algorithm (it's widely used... it's sad it isn't implemented by YoYo, yet)

Last edited:

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
As far as I know, the built-in algorithm is A* - it is just that it was historically written with 1-bit weight (for performance?).

While the built-in functions could use some additions, ideally you shouldn't be using grid-based A* at all - node-based (manually or automatically optimized) solutions are often magnitudes faster, even if they are written in GML.

DeScruff

As far as I know, the built-in algorithm is A* - it is just that it was historically written with 1-bit weight (for performance?).

While the built-in functions could use some additions, ideally you shouldn't be using grid-based A* at all - node-based (manually or automatically optimized) solutions are often magnitudes faster, even if they are written in GML.
Ooo this is the first Ive ever heard of l1... Hmmm interesting gonna have to look more into it

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.

What about pathfinding with range?! (return all cell within range, applying terrain cost) are those functions acceptable?! or are we better with GML?! what do you suggest using?