• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Request for Nintendo audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Misty

I've been doing some thinking...I've analyzed what the difference between Nintendo, Xbox and PS4 is.

Nintendo systems are more focused on local multiplayer and family games...nintendo is made for a family console and people with semi-lives. You pick up a Nintendo, you play for a few hours with friends and family, then you go back to your life.

Xbox has a different kind of strategy. Xbox games are designed to be a time-suck, (Xbox started the whole "Achievement" and "DLC" thing) and to maximize every last drop of life from the game. Xbox games are about online multiplayer, meant to consume your life. Because of this, Xbox games are more violent, since the kind of people Xbox targets tend to be anti-social. Also, Xbox games tend to be larger and take more people to make.

So I was thinking, Game Maker would probably be best with Nintendo export module, because Game Maker games tend to be short and sweet, family oriented games, with low-emphasis on online multiplayer. I think Nintendo is a perfect niche for Game Maker games. So I would like to request for a Nintendo module.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Such insightful observations about console marketing strategy, and the psychology of people who play them, will certainly lead to spirited debate. But I doubt it will be limited to GameMaker.

So this belongs in Off Topic, rather than Community.

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
This thread is awesome Misty, I love it. But you have made me very very curious about player psychology now... on the PS4! Can you please tell me what the difference with PS4 is, because you haven't addressed it in your topic.

M

Misty

Then that's what you should have done -- instead of loading up the topic with dubious commentary about the console market and player psychology.
Well, that was to sell the idea and explain why it should be made.

This thread is awesome Misty, I love it. But you have made me very very curious about player psychology now... on the PS4! Can you please tell me what the difference with PS4 is, because you haven't addressed it in your topic.
I don't have a PS4, therefore I am no expert on PS4 matters. My opinion though, is PS4 has a city/urban culture associated with it.

The statements above seem a little bit over generalized (and paints Xbox in a fairly negative light). But I haven't ever used an Xbox, so I can't say much. I've only ever had Nintendo consoles, and for that reason: the games are typically non-violent, they are family friendly and I feel like Nintendo focuses a lot more on simple fun over competitive play, which I like. If there was a Nintendo export of GMS / GMS2 I would certainly be very happy. (If there's a Nintendo Switch export for GMS2 that would probably convince me to buy it. Depending on if I ever finished a project worthy of that).

Yes, GM needs Switch support. Sooner rather than later, hopefully! Unity and Unreal have had it forever. Monogame (free and open source) just got it like last week. I just heard a few days ago some other random engine I've never even heard of supports Switch now, too. Come on, YoYo! = (

Last edited:
^The fact that it's Nintendo's fastest selling console EVER so far doesn't make me feel any better about it either, haha. That audience! I want it!

Also, the Switch is just 💩💩💩💩ing awesome and I badly want to see my game on it, haha. X'D

M

Misu

My questions here are, how come many other game development programs do have Switch exports already but YoYo could not get it?

What is going on between their negotiation with Nintendo?

What is Nintendo (or YoYo) asking for that is holding back this possibility?

You probably need to direct that at Nintendo. YoYo has been trying to get on their platforms for several years.
No, I'm directing it at YoYo. Unity and Unreal have supported the Switch for a very long time now. Random open source engines nobody has even heard of are now beating them to the punch. Nintendo obviously isn't the one stopping this from happening.
My questions here are, how come many other game development programs do have Switch exports already but YoYo could not get it?
That's the question, right? Nintendo obviously isn't denying GameMaker. Last I heard, YoYo wanted Nintendo to fund the development of any GameMaker Nintendo exports, and Nintendo wasn't interested. That doesn't mean Nintendo is blocking the development of a Switch export. That just means they don't want to pay for it. Which is fine, in my opinion. I paid YoYo money for my license to continue the development of GameMaker, not Nintendo.

Luckily, it seems like that might change this year. "Other targets" are listed for this Fall, and I have a strong feeling the Switch is going to be one of them.

Last edited:
M

Misu

Random open source engines nobody has even heard of are now beating them to the punch. Nintendo obviously isn't the one stopping this from happening.
That is why I asked my questions earlier...

What is going on between their negotiation with Nintendo?

What is Nintendo (or YoYo) asking for that is holding back this possibility?

S

SyntheticStorm9

I've been doing some thinking...I've analyzed what the difference between Nintendo, Xbox and PS4 is.

Nintendo systems are more focused on local multiplayer and family games...nintendo is made for a family console and people with semi-lives. You pick up a Nintendo, you play for a few hours with friends and family, then you go back to your life.

Xbox has a different kind of strategy. Xbox games are designed to be a time-suck, (Xbox started the whole "Achievement" and "DLC" thing) and to maximize every last drop of life from the game. Xbox games are about online multiplayer, meant to consume your life. Because of this, Xbox games are more violent, since the kind of people Xbox targets tend to be anti-social. Also, Xbox games tend to be larger and take more people to make.

So I was thinking, Game Maker would probably be best with Nintendo export module, because Game Maker games tend to be short and sweet, family oriented games, with low-emphasis on online multiplayer. I think Nintendo is a perfect niche for Game Maker games. So I would like to request for a Nintendo module.
If I have read this correctly, then you want us to give you a hamburger.

but seriously, while I may not agree about the violent and non violent consoles(example, mortal combat originated on the nintindo, so when you say
Xbox games are more violent, since the kind of people Xbox targets tend to be anti-social.
I go o_O especially when it is a choice for how long you play on a console )
That was a very insightfull message on why we should have nintindo export. (hint... hint... I know you are watching.)

G

Galladhan

example, mortal combat originated on the nintindo
Uhm? Mortal Kombat was born in the arcades world. And if my memory isn't completely fried, Mortal Kombat II was ported on a multitude of platforms, not only on the Super Nintendo :p (i don't want to be a nitpicker, i just wanted to point out that Ed Boon has nothing to do with Nintendo lol).

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Well, purpose of why this topic was made, was to request a nintendo module for game maker.
Sigh... We have had and closed dozens of topics like this over the years and this is no different. These kind of topic serve no purpose whatsover... YYG knows some people want a Nintendo export, and when they have something to say on the matter they will say it. All these topics do is cause speculation, false rumours, and make it seem like anything that is said here could influence the situation (hint: it can't).

So, topic closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.