Windows RenderTech

Discussion in 'Work in Progress' started by Apapappa, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Apapappa

Apapappa Member

Description:
    This is a little side thing I work on sometimes, mostly when I want to relax a bit.

I guess this is my take on the "GMS can't do 3D and/or what other engines can" thing and I might as well post a thread about it, otherwise it will just lie there and rot on my hard drive forever.

It is definitely not perfect and has a lot of errors and what not but I think it's gotten to a point where it looks good enough to show, so here it is.

There are lots of features I'd like to add but that will have to happen at a later point in time.

I'd also like to make a game using this in the future but that will be after Zordak is finished.

Anyway, feel free to tell me what you think.

Screenshots:
    [​IMG]

WARNING:
    Running this with everything enabled requires a pretty "high" end graphics card.
    (maxes out my gtx 1060 in fullscreen at times)
    If you have a lower end graphics card / bad cooling or a laptop, run this at your own risk.
    I take no responsibility for any burned out graphic cards or laptops.

Download [80mb] (YYC and VM available):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n89yhj1ohlkklhx/RenderTech.zip?raw=1

[edit]
    I should probably mention that I did not create the textures or the tree model, they are random stuff from the internet which I use for testing purposes.
    [end of edit]

Made with GMS 1.4.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    Bart, Roa, BlueBurn and 4 others like this.
  2. lolslayer

lolslayer Member

Looks really great, love it, what kind of systems can we expect?

And what have you done to achieve point sprites?

3. kraifpatrik

kraifpatrik Member

Needs some work on the lighting model, Phong does not really cut it in 2019, but otherwise looks nice!

4. Apapappa

Apapappa Member

Thanks.

I don't really know what systems can be expected.
    But what I can do is tell you what I would like to implement (this does not guarantee these will be implemented):
    1. Screen Space Reflections.
    2. Dual Paraboloid shadow maps for point lights.
    3. Dual Paraboloid reflection maps to improve the current spheremapped reflections.
    4. Particle Systems using Point Sprites.
    5. Weather Effects (probably using something like said particle systems)
    6. Better Foliage Interaction. (better bending, maybe dynamic sway forces)
    7. Water/Fluid Surface Interactions. (deforming water surface and/or apply ripple effects)
    8. Deferred Decals

9. Level Editor and Collision Systems similar to these old versions:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/27zxkmsf1fnidq2/DoomGFXGame_2016.zip?raw=1
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/7gsba29nkpagw6r/SqrEngine_2017.zip?raw=1

Both of these contain a level you can edit or walk around in, the levels were made inside these editors.
    These are also examples of what kind of game I would probably make using the new editor.

[edit]
    I should probably have mentioned that I'm using Doom and Half-Life assets for testing purposes in these two editors.
    There are probably random textures from the internet being used aswell.
    [end of edit]

10. Animated 3D Models. (not something I'm good at, so this would probably be low priority)
    11. Update the Lighting Model since kraifpatrik mentioned it. ;)

As for the point sprites -
    I'm using my (horrible) dll to enable DX9 point sprites, submit a vertex buffer using pr_pointlist and HLSL then automatically draws them correctly when using the PSIZE semantic.
    The 10 million point sprite test is one VBuffer with 1 million points drawn 10 times at random locations.

Hope that answers your questions. ;)

Yeah, that's true, it has been added to the feature wishlist, thanks! ^^

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    BlueBurn and kraifpatrik like this.
  5. lolslayer

lolslayer Member

Thank you for the answer, for point sprites however, I do know a not very well known way to get the to work without DLL's ;)

6. Lonewolff

Lonewolff Member

Very nice, man! We certainly have some players in the 3D space now. Awesome to see!

7. kraifpatrik

kraifpatrik Member

I've checked out the SqrEngine_2017 and I have to say that when it's put together like that, it's a lot more impressive! Hopefully we will see a full game made out of that one day.

8. BlueBurn

BlueBurn Member

Oh no...really? Half Life 3 finally leaked? :D
    No seriously all those demos look pretty good man, really glad to see another member of the 3D gang.

9. Apapappa

Apapappa Member

Sorry for the late replies, forgot about it multiple days in a row now...

I have no idea what way that would be. ^^
    But it doesn't necessarily matter since it's just 1-2 DLL calls depending on how you use it and I also use the DLL for other things like anisotropic filtering, wireframe, etc so I can't get rid of it either way.

Thanks. ;)

Yeah, even though everything is basically squares it still looks pretty detailed, it could be a lot more detailed if more time was spent on it and that is probably what would happen if I made a game using these systems.
    Thanks for the feedback! :)

Hopefully Half-Life 3 looks way better than this if it comes out. :p
    Thanks for the feedback. ^^

10. lolslayer

lolslayer Member

Ah yeah, understandable, and honestly I don't think it was supposed to be there, I figured it out on accident

Apapappa likes this.
  11. Eriksaw

Eriksaw Member

Wow, looks really nice!

Apapappa likes this.